Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Shockey's Gold Super Powder on the range >

Shockey's Gold Super Powder on the range

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shockey's Gold Super Powder on the range

Old 10-09-2015, 04:40 PM
Banned

Default Shockey's Gold Super Powder on the range

Alright, first off, this is the first time I've had time to sit down and practice and learn the powder with patched round ball. I've never shot the JSG SP for accuracy until today. I've shot a lot of the APP brand but this was new to me. I previously sighted in my CVA Accura V2 with it, but that was with conicals, not patched round balls.

Today I started off at 50 yards just until I settle in and learn more about it. I cleaned the bore free of oil and loaded up 80gr JSG SP, .015" patch lubed with my patch lube and a home cast .570" round ball.

I did swab between shots with a SLIGHTLY damp patch. This stuff is actually cleaner than their other powders it seems. I had one no fire due to having to much solution but it fired perfectly once I removed the nipple and dribbled a little powder into the drum.

No hard loading on the ball, just pushed down on the end of the range rod while ramming the ball home and that was it. No hard seating pressure this time.

First shot was high on a freshly clean bore, shots 2 and 3 were perfect.

I was very happy with that and so I grabbed some 90gr charges and loaded up. The far left shot I called. I felt myself shaking with the cold evening and so I kind of blew that one. One thing I did notice. The 90gr charge was blowing the thin .015" patch in half. I feel that once I start to experiment with the .018" and .020" patches, things will go a lot better with the heavier charges.

I'm going to reload my stuff tonight and get it ready for tomorrow. I want to experiment with no swabbing and see how that does and then I'll move onto seating the ball heavy on the charge. Down the road, I'll play with my thicker patches as well and do it all over again.

I am not shooting for tiny little holes, but more for reasonable hunting accuracy until I learn things about this powder.

It does go off instantly though. I shot some through my 1860 Army .44cal revolver and the #10 cap had no problems setting it off, plus the cylinder is super clean as well. I plan on doing a lot of shooting with the revolver and shotgun this fall/winter.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:57 PM
Dominant Buck

I have shot round ball out of rifles and my revolver. I like JSG 3f. In the rifles I noticed after several shots, I had to swab the first ... say five inches of the bore from the muzzle down because of a gray build up. But I had excellent accuracy and easy clean up.

My revolver with 20 grains of JSG 3f really shoots well.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:00 PM
Banned

I remember doing that as well with the original stuff. I haven't shot this enough to say it doesn't do that, but if I can get out and shoot enough tomorrow, we'll see what it looks like.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Straighten me out here Devil. It seems you were shooting loose powder. I know American Pioneer makes "Super Sticks". Is there a Super Powder also?
Old 10-09-2015, 05:44 PM
Banned

There's both super sticks and super powder. Super Powder is loose granules and what I am using.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Straighten me out here Devil. It seems you were shooting loose powder. I know American Pioneer makes "Super Sticks". Is there a Super Powder also?
This be the stuff right here?

Old 10-09-2015, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Holy crap, can't use over a 250 grain bullet? Wow that leaves me out of the running with 85% of my loads!
Old 10-09-2015, 05:49 PM
Banned

I used a 278gr round ball and a 338gr platinum the other week. I had zero problems and not sure why they label it like that. And yes, that is the stuff I am trying out. My local store went belly up so there went my normal goex supply LOL. I just want something easy to get and keeps me running clean. I can normally get it to shoot very well so hopefully this will work out in the long run.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

It probably has a fast pressure spike so they don't want people using a heavier bullet for fear of a breach. More than likely kind of like the fear of using higher pressure loads in older firearms such as a .45/70. Modern higher quality steels in the barrels of today probably wouldn't suffer.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Now that's interesting. I haven't seen that on the shelves in my area. Cabala's doesn't show it on their web site. Nor do Midway, Bass Pro, Natchez, Bud's, etc.

I did find it on the American Pioneer web site. The funny thing is, the label says "Never use over a 250 grain bullet", yet they have a testimonial on their web page of a kid shooting 295 grain Powerbelts over a 100 grain load. http://americanpioneerpowder.com/Jim...owderForm.html

They also show some pretty impressive velocities on that web page. If they are true it's got to be a way different powder than the original JSG. The one jug of JSG I tried was clean and gave me reasonable groups, but velocities were way below any other powder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.