Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Load Advice Needed >

Load Advice Needed

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Load Advice Needed

Old 10-09-2015, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default Load Advice Needed

Hi guys,

Took my Optima V2 pistol out for the 2nd time today and getting same results as day 1. Drilling Bulls-eye every shot at 25yd. 50yd I'm all over. Day 1 I had 1 bull and a few 2" off before the scattered bad. I figured fatigue and shooter error. Today I took 1st shot at 25yd, hit dead center. Backed it to 50yd, 2" low, 1" left. Next shot, 2" low, 3" left. Next 2" high, 1" left. Final shot I know I held perfet and shot was 3.5" low, 3" to right. ARG. For confidence I took next shot at 25yd, drilled dead center. I packed it in after that. What on Earth are the suggestions? Pretty sure it's not me now.

I'm shooting 240gr XTP bullet with 90gr Blackhorn. Would maybe reducing to 80gr help? I saw a post elsewhere someone shooting 80gr with a 200gr shockwave or 200gr XTP. This round would be used for deer and I only need something that work out to 50 yd. Any suggestions would be most helpful as of now, I'm
Only comfortable using this out of my bow stands. Thanks!
Old 10-09-2015, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

What twist?
Old 10-09-2015, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually, considering the "misses" you are describing, I would say it IS you and not your load. If it were the load the misses would be less consistent left. Most all your misses except for the one was to the left. Thats telling me on your trigger pull you are moving the barrel. It doesn't take much at all to make a 3 inch miss to the left with a pistol.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Actually, considering the "misses" you are describing, I would say it IS you and not your load. If it were the load the misses would be less consistent left. Most all your misses except for the one was to the left. Thats telling me on your trigger pull you are moving the barrel. It doesn't take much at all to make a 3 inch miss to the left with a pistol.
Interesting. Id love it if it were me. I don't have any real experience shooting a pistol like this. Maybe next time I go straight for 50 and see where first shot hits. Today's pistol shots were after about 1.5 hours of doing an inline rifle so I was tired towards the end. I thought I was steady etc but it very well may be a practice thing. Hehe, I stink
Old 10-09-2015, 03:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

With that short barrel on that pistol I wouldn't hesitate to go down to even 70 grs. You also didn't state it you were using a scope or not. My Accura doesn't shoot the 240 bullets very well butlikes the 300 gr XTPs
Another thing I've found shooting a pistol off bags is that they are sometimes pretty picky how they are laid across the bag. And you grip and trigger finger placement is also critical and must be consistent.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
With that short barrel on that pistol I wouldn't hesitate to go down to even 70 grs. You also didn't state it you were using a scope or not. My Accura doesn't shoot the 240 bullets very well butlikes the 300 gr XTPs
Another thing I've found shooting a pistol off bags is that they are sometimes pretty picky how they are laid across the bag. And you grip and trigger finger placement is also critical and must be consistent.
Good info, thank you. I must say, my grip most likely was a bit different each time as I was still trying to get used to shooting it. In my mind, if the crosshairs were on target, all was well.
I have no problem going less powder, I actually prefer it. I was going to do a seperate post but I'll ask now, what is a safe amount of blackhorn to use to have enough power to take a deer quickly? And a good bullet that handles a lesser charge? This will mostly be a fun gun for doe when I already have meat in freezer so it's not like it'll have to penetrate a huge animal. Just looking for an effective charge for max 50 yd at a doe sized animal. Thanks again
Old 10-09-2015, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GPMD
Interesting. Id love it if it were me. I don't have any real experience shooting a pistol like this. Maybe next time I go straight for 50 and see where first shot hits. Today's pistol shots were after about 1.5 hours of doing an inline rifle so I was tired towards the end. I thought I was steady etc but it very well may be a practice thing. Hehe, I stink
Did you notice if the trigger on the pistol is a heavier pull than the rifle? Or vise versa. After 1.5 hour shoot with one then jumping onto the other is hard to do even for a professional. Also, if you are planning to hunt with that pistol, I would suggest leaving the sand bags and practice with shooting sticks.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GPMD
Good info, thank you. I must say, my grip most likely was a bit different each time as I was still trying to get used to shooting it. In my mind, if the crosshairs were on target, all was well.
I have no problem going less powder, I actually prefer it. I was going to do a seperate post but I'll ask now, what is a safe amount of blackhorn to use to have enough power to take a deer quickly? And a good bullet that handles a lesser charge? This will mostly be a fun gun for doe when I already have meat in freezer so it's not like it'll have to penetrate a huge animal. Just looking for an effective charge for max 50 yd at a doe sized animal. Thanks again
Drop down to 65 grains BH and if you want a deer hammer for that little pup, a 260 grain Harvester Scorpion PT Gold is some awesome deer medicine. I wouldn't go further than 50 with that load but you weren't planning to anyway. 65-70 grains would be plenty out of that barrel with that heavier PT gold. Not to much kick and a definite thumper at the business end.