Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
A Fall turkey(s) ML two-fer-one >

A Fall turkey(s) ML two-fer-one

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A Fall turkey(s) ML two-fer-one

Old 10-08-2015, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default A Fall turkey(s) ML two-fer-one

Sunday morning about 8:00, one shot, 2 kills! My hunting buddy and I walked up on a flock of about 10, and I aimed my muzzle loading shotgun at this jake's neck at about 25 or 30 yards. At the shot, he went rolling over, wobbling on the ground. But unfortunately, a hen must have been right next to him, and had her neck broken by a pellet and both legs broken. My hunting buddy, although he didn't get a good shot, and was ready to call an end to our hunt.

CVA Optima Pro with 12ga ML barrel
1-3/4 oz #5 magnum lead shot
BPI Multi-metal shot cup
75 grains 777

Last edited by donw; 10-14-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations.. always nice to get a turkey.

That one for two has always been my fear as most the time there is no tag for the hens. Years ago, I had to let a very nice Tom walk around for almost ten minutes because he was constantly after this one hen. They were just too close to take the shot in my opinion. Then he made the mistake of leaving her and trying to swoon my decoy. I got a few holes in the decoy but that's just character for it. The Tom went home with me too.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks, Cayugad,
Luckily, in the Fall, we can shoot either.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the birds. It's better to be lucky than good any day. Intentionally I have tried to get 2 gobblers lined up in the spring season while I was stationed at Ft Campbell where it was legal to take 2 birds the same day but I never was fortunate enough to get it done. Great pics of some purdy country.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats!! I've killed two squirrels with one shot before once, but never turkeys. We can kill hens in VA also in the fall, but only one bird per day.

What choke did you have in the CVA? I like the extra full choke in my White shotgun.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by toytruck
Congrats!! I've killed two squirrels with one shot before once, but never turkeys. We can kill hens in VA also in the fall, but only one bird per day.

What choke did you have in the CVA? I like the extra full choke in my White shotgun.
Thanks! It is the CVA Turkey Extra Full that came with the barrel. That gun has been one of my best purchases. It is my workhorse--I use the 50 cal barrel for elk & javelina. I believe the 50/frame was around $220, and the 12 gauge barrel was about $85. When CVA sold their turkey 12 gauge gun, I believe it was almost that much, alone.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

way to go Don. Are those merriams? Don't take this the wrong way and I'm not putting your turkeys down but those birds look to me to be on the smallish side! I guess I'm just use to the big easterns here in PA.
Congratulations.
PS: have you ever had smoked wild turkey? I smoked the 20 pounder's breast I got this year using my new smoker and a recipe I found on the internet. That was delicious at least what I had of it. My daughter-in-law and my grand children were eating it up like candy...lol
Old 10-11-2015, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
way to go Don. Are those merriams? Don't take this the wrong way and I'm not putting your turkeys down but those birds look to me to be on the smallish side! I guess I'm just use to the big easterns here in PA.
Congratulations.
PS: have you ever had smoked wild turkey? I smoked the 20 pounder's breast I got this year using my new smoker and a recipe I found on the internet. That was delicious at least what I had of it. My daughter-in-law and my grand children were eating it up like candy...lol
Yep, their merriams, and unless its a big tom, they're usually pretty small. The hen was particularly young/small, the jake, about typical. Didn't see any toms in the flock. I've never tried smoking turkey-it sounds yummy. I've had deep fried, and that was amazing.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Smoked turkey gumbo. Yummy!