Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
My 2015 ML Deer hunt. >

My 2015 ML Deer hunt.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My 2015 ML Deer hunt.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My 2015 ML Deer hunt.

My son Jacob an I left on the 1st to go on our deer hunt. We got there about midnight in the middle of a rain storm.
In the morning we left the camper and it was still raining and fog. I decided I was not leaving the 4 runner, NOT. We found a buck that was swallowed up by the fog. Then we found a bunch of four that were in a spot we could get at them. The biggest one was a 24" wide two point. Well I said I wasn't going to get wet but I did. Jacob got a shot at the big one but missed. I think buck fever got him a bit.

We got back to the truck, got some dry clothes and got ready for the evening hunt. We headed out on the Atv and honda 90. I built the mount for the scabbard for the 90. I saw two bucks bedded down and we sneaked in on them.
Jacob got on the cross sticks and the bucks got up at about 40 yards. His bullet hit the buck near the last rib and went forward into the cavity. Then it exited through several more ribs 7 total before it lodged under the skin in the neck. The bullet was a 460 gr Paper Patched Lee 500 S&W bullet, it still weighed 408.8 grains. The Knife in the picture is one I built for him.

Well the next morning we got up early. I headed into a place I hoped that I would see more bucks. I saw around 50 head of does and not one buck. We got back to the camper and another storm hit. Dang my luck!
About 4 pm the rain let up and we headed out. We got about 1/2 mile from the camper and I see a buck on the ridge. I get ready to shoot off my sticks. The buck got wind of what was going on and started to head out. My paper patched 409 gr RCBS 11mm rifle bullet hit him hard. Jacob said you gut shot him! I said no way I saw that hit. So I reloaded and we headed up the hill. I found the spot where the buck was hit, it was a 90 yard shot. No blood, well for the first couple jumps. Then I saw the pink blood. He jumped a log and blood was on both sides, but he was running up hill. I get to the top and he had ran 100 yards without lungs, he was done. The bullet hit a couple ribs but that was not enough to stop that train.

I told Jacob to go back to camp and get the 4 wheeler and I would drag the buck to the road.

We got it back to camp and skinned it out.

We had a good trip. I don't get as much time with Jacob as I would like. We both had the plan for big bucks but in the end we had tons of fun with these little one. Maybe next year.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Great report Ron. I enjoyed the read.

Funny how a good report here seems to be more enjoyable and more realistic than what appears in those magazine articles. Might be because we kinda know the participants.

Was that bullet Jacob used hard cast?
Old 10-05-2015, 03:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome Ron! Congrats to you both. Glad to see you guys having good luck, sounds like a fun trip. Can't wait to hit the woods here.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great job guys, and great looking bucks.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great Report. Love the Honda rig.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a great time with your son. Congrats Ron!
Old 10-05-2015, 05:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Excellent story and pictures. Made me feel like I was there. Congratulations on the deer ... guys. Some excellent rifles, projectiles and shots there.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Great report Ron. I enjoyed the read.

Funny how a good report here seems to be more enjoyable and more realistic than what appears in those magazine articles. Might be because we kinda know the participants.

Was that bullet Jacob used hard cast?
Thanks, the bullet in the picture that Jacob used is hardened between 6 and 7 BHN. 5 BHN is pure and a wheel weight is 12 BHN. so it is not hardened much. When developing the load I increased the hardness to get the best group. Most of the time these bullets are never found. We got lucky with this one because it went through so many bones and was caught in the thicker neck skin.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Awesome Ron! Congrats to you both. Glad to see you guys having good luck, sounds like a fun trip. Can't wait to hit the woods here.
Did you recognize the "Dirty Girl"?
Old 10-05-2015, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by idahoron
Did you recognize the "Dirty Girl"?
Oh yeah, she looks purdy!

Glad to see he broke her in!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.