Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
MK @ the Farm - Moose on the Palouse >

MK @ the Farm - Moose on the Palouse

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

MK @ the Farm - Moose on the Palouse

Old 10-04-2015, 04:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default MK @ the Farm - Moose on the Palouse

This morning I loaded up and went to the farm with the reclaimed MK-85. I have/had treated the bore with Bore Tek on Thursday before heading to Kennewick to watch fall FP softball and Soccer. Now I needed to go shoot a bunch of bullets out of it to cure the Bore Tek.

I had had the rifle out one other day last week and was somewhat sighted in at 50 yards.

When I got to the farm I set up across the road from Dinger's house and again noticed the Whitetail 3D archery target setup near the house and under some small trees. I really wanted to shoot that realistic little buck but went ahead about setting up my target and some clay pigeons at 75 yards. Then I set up the shooting station - shooting between to pieces of farm equipment parked in the shooting field.

I took at shot at the target and it was placed about where I thought it should be elevation wise but right about 4". I removed the peep aperture and adjust the slide and guess windage and reinstalled the peep. Took another shot on paper and it was nearly perfect so my interest in paper was lost and I decided to go onto the clay pigeons. I continued shooting the pigeons, my first two shots took the tops of the pigeons off but left plenty of bird still available and visible. The next to shots finished off the two birds.

After that last shot I got up from the portable bench and walked back to the loading bench (my tailgate) I again looked at the whitetail and thought - it would be so easy - but then I looked at the house and the in the flower garden was a shape - really surprised me. I watched it for awhile and it MOVED. It was a darn calf Moose working the shrubs and plants in the flower garden. He/she did not seem to really care that I was shooting or that Dinger's dog was barking at cars as they drove by the house. I returned to shooting working on to more birds and the really did not seem the bother the moose at all.

So I thought what the heck get some pictures - so I began taking pictures as I was doing that another car came by from the highway and noticed me taking pics - they looked left at what I taking pictures of and then hit the brakes and kinda slid in the gravel. That prompted to moose to move out of the flower garden to the vegetable garden where some grabbed his attention so he knelt down began on feeding on something no longer concerned about the car or me shooting. Eventually and as I continued to shoot he moved out of the garden past the deer decoy and to another large shrub and began feeding again.

I had enough pictures so I went back to shooting and as I finished my last shots I looked and he was gone.

Everything worked out well the rifle is sighted for a 100 and the Bore Tek should be cured.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wonder where momma was?
Old 10-04-2015, 05:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I wonder where momma was?
Ya, I kinda wondered the same thing - but no sign of her at all. The calf seemed liked he was pretty comfortable around the house, Even the two dogs did not bother it all.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Well if mommy was around I would have been a little concerned. When my sister lived outside Anchorage Alaska in a little mountain town, she told me about what happens when Mom and calf come into town. Not like in the Disney Story books. Very dangerous.

It sounds like you have a good shooting rifle there.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Never a moose or elk but I have fawns in the yard all the time and some times will go into the pines when I mow but not always.
I would have liked to see that.

Al
Old 10-05-2015, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Moose in the yard now that is awesome! We had a moose that wandered into the desert by the Boise stage stop.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

A buddy of mine got a moose 2 years ago in Canada. Man that is some good tasting meat!

Really cool to see that SL

Oh, and glad you got her dialed in. Now you gotta break her in!
Old 10-05-2015, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

SL great report and story. As for the moose well I would have been just a little upset if he was eating my veggies...lol