Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New Mexico Hunts - Pics and Stories >

New Mexico Hunts - Pics and Stories

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Mexico Hunts - Pics and Stories

Old 10-04-2015, 01:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Looks like you guys had a good time as well as a successful hunt. That is some nice country. I just love hunting out west. Hunting the east in the hardwoods is nice. But there is something about hunting that open country that just, I don't know how to say it, but it fills all my senses.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:08 AM
Banned

Updated with the hunt stories.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:31 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on a successful hunt! Thats some pretty country out there and a nice buck as well.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:10 PM
Banned

well, while boning out my elk today at the butcher, I noticed the entrance hole was the size of a nickle where it hit a rib and then the exit side blew out 2 ribs and left a golf ball sized hole! That buck never stood a chance. Due to the shot angle, the bullet left a slight trail through the bottom of the spine, in and out. I didn't find any lead fragments either, so I feel pretty darn comfortable with that bullet next year if I draw a tag for something.

What upset me was the cost! $90 to hang a deer for 4 days and skin it. They didn't even wash it down like they normally do.

Probably the most expensive meat I ever bought! $360 for the tag, 90 for hanging/skinning, plus another $150 in gas and $60 for a celebration lunch for the 3 of us. This boy better taste good! LOL

When I got home, my brother and I did some work on the jeep. Fresh oil/filter change, checked all fluids and then put in the new HD shackles in the rear which helped level it out. Handles much nicer now!

Tomorrow, we'll all pitch in and cut the meat and package it. I need some jerky this winter!
Old 10-08-2015, 07:06 AM
Dominant Buck

I have to laugh as your observations are so true. I friend of mine in Wisconsin shot a nice buck last year. Having no skills in butchering, other then field dressing, he took it to a meat processor where he lives. When he got the meat back, and paid the bill, he said to me ... next year I am going to the fancy butcher shop in town, spend $200 on steaks and be money ahead. He did have sausage and venison sticks made. And they were very good. But he never did tell me what the whole thing costed. But the hint of $200 at a butcher shop kind of shocked me. And since it was none of my business, I never asked. I have always butchered my own and made my own specialty meats.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

When I was married I always told my wife that I only provided the best meats as they were much more expensive when I figured in the cost of license, guns, ammo, clothing and general expenses associated with my hunting excursions...lol... However, I believe the only times I used a butcher was while living in on post housing. Other than that I always processed my own venison.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

Frontier, nice stories and deer. When I was growing up I lived and hunted in NM with my dad sometimes in the Lincoln National Forrest near Weed and some in the Capitan Mountains. Do you mind telling about what area you were in. I have great memories of hunting with my dad in NM. How is the muley population, now? Here in Arizona, I haven't even hunted deer for years, because the population has been so low.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:14 AM
Banned

Old 10-10-2015, 08:24 PM
Banned

Guess this would help.

This is the exit on my buck with the 338gr Platinum Powerbelt.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

Nice exit wound. It appears to have created a fairly catastrophic wound channel and that'll put'em DRT.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.