Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Yard sale bargin

Old 10-02-2015, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Yard sale bargin

A couple of weeks ago I was riding around with mom and dad checking out some yard sales and stumbled across this $30 jewel. It's a .45 cal Miruko. I am not as fortunate as Sabotloader and find an MK-85 but for $30 I figured it might be fun to play around with some. I need to get out and shoot but it's rained everyday for the past week. I have to put a new nipple in it and hopefully I will get to shoot some soon.
Attached Thumbnails Yard sale bargin-image.jpg  
Old 10-03-2015, 02:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

any muzzy for $30 is a good deal. Unless of course its a rust bucket.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:20 AM
Dominant Buck

A fellow at a Rendezvous was shooting what appeared to be the exact same rifle one year. It was doing a fine job. And was a good looking gun. I think you got a heck of a deal.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

Sweet deal.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes we scratch our heads on why that ML ever found itself on a table in a garage/yard sale. There's lots of reasons why and I'll just mention one reason.... out of many.

Some folks enter-into knee-jerk reactions when their sidehammers continually hang/misfire. They get so pizzed-off they darn near give the ML away. They want it out of the house sometimes A.S.A.P.

I know! - I've been there, as recently as last December. Took a CVA Bobcat and Traditions Deerhunter into a pawnshop and told the owner I wanted back out that front door without those two MLs.

Needless to say, he didn't offer me fair returns for them. My "steaming mad" frame-of-mind one week earlier in the hunting woods, turned into a pretty bad hatred for those two MLs and I accepted the pawn shop owner's purchase offer.

..... and guess what?,...... I don't miss those two MLs one-bit and perhaps the former Miruko owner doesn't miss his either. Multiple times I have purchased MLs on the cheap - fixed them and resold them. I could have fixed both the Deerhunter and Bobcat.

..... but I wanted them out of my gun safe and out of my house A.S.A.P. Why?..... I hated them.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 10-03-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

Needless to say the Miroku isn't in bad shape. I really didn't find anything wrong with it. Just couldn't pass it up being so cheap. I am sure I could make out very easily if I re-sale it but I will shoot it and see how well she shoots. It seems to have a very good balanced. I will find out Monday as it is supposed to dry up around here. I have never been a .45 cal fan ever since my first ML back in 1980. I had scrounged up $45 and purchased an old Jukar .45 cal. However, I have less in this one and I am sure it will shoot well. I cleaned it up and slugged the barrel and lapped the bore. I know it's an older rifle but I thought it could use a little polishing.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

last summer a friend of mine in boise said that a friend of his had a whites for sale at a gun show .he wanted to know if i wanted it.i said if it looks ok see what you can get it for.when he came up to his cabin later that week he handed me a whites s/s sportsmans warehouse edition 26 inch barrel with a dirty barrel that cleaned up beautiful. price 150.00 if someone hated this one and got rid of it i thank them
Old 10-05-2015, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

My neighbor has that same rifle with a flintlock ignition. It shot round balls half decent when it would go off. Turns out the frizzen was too soft for reliable spark. He bought a T/C Hawken .50 flinter and hung the Miroku on the wall.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 10-05-2015 at 07:14 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Price was right on that one slowburn.

Many ML enthusiasts probably get frustrated for one reason or another, and probably most don't truly know enough about the rifles to understand value/condition, etc.

My dad found a percussion ML pistol one time at his gun club, laying on a shooting bench. There was a note under it that said "This gun is NOT lost, you can have it!!!!" It wasn't a valuable gun, but it was in decent shape and he said it shot ok. Somebody had had enough I guess. LOL
Old 10-05-2015, 07:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Slowburn
A couple of weeks ago I was riding around with mom and dad checking out some yard sales and stumbled across this $30 jewel. It's a .45 cal Miruko. I am not as fortunate as Sabotloader and find an MK-85 but for $30 I figured it might be fun to play around with some. I need to get out and shoot but it's rained everyday for the past week. I have to put a new nipple in it and hopefully I will get to shoot some soon.
That is quite a find - it certainly has 'classic' lines. Have you been able check out the bore?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.