Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Percussion Caps and a White >

Percussion Caps and a White

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Percussion Caps and a White

Old 08-30-2015, 12:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Percussion Caps and a White

It rained a bit yesterday and it was really cool this morning - time to shoot! But again because of the circumstances out here in the Pacific Northwest, I thought the safest place is the Basalt Rock Pit @ Little Boulder.

This is a picture taken from the highway near Twisp, Washington...

Because of the little bit of rain and the winds that passed through yesterday at least the smoke here has scoured out and the sky is visible.

Any I got a PM from a fellow shooter asking about shooting the Lehigh 40x215's in his White. That little note kinda motivated me to do the same. I have White 451 Whitetail G series that I have not shot in ages + all of Scott's talk about shooting Say-bo-less got me thinking about trying some of that in a 45. I found a bag od Nosler .451x260 grain Partitions that Sqeezer had sent me a long time ago. I tried the Noslers in the crown of the White and it looked like the might load. I them located a .451 sizing die and ran the bullets through it. It did reduce the dia. of the bullets a little bit and when I tried them again in the White Wilson Barrel - I was really sure they would work, even at a tight .451 they were not going to work in my Super DISC - so it was the White going.

Got to the rock pit and set up 8 clay pigeons on the basalt wall of the rock pit. On the way out to the shoot I kinda thought what I was going to do or the order I was going to do it... I really wanted to check the accuracy of the very long 215's from the short barreled 1-20 White. Then I would try the Noslers, thinking if I got one jammed or had a problem I would still get some shooting down.

Shooting the Lehigh 40x215's turnout to be a walk in the park from the White. I shot four of them and then decided I should not waste anymore on the rock wall. So I got some Lehigh 40x185 CF from the shoot bag and set them up for shooting. They shot just as well as the 215's and picked off to of the birds. Since I wanted to save the last two for the Noslers, I then challenged myself a bit to start shooting smaller. I them would locate a chip or broken part of bird on the wall and take them on as a target. It was a bunch of fun.

The Noslers - they did not go as planned but I did get two down range and they hit the intended targets. Problem - and I was not expecting this from a Wilson barrel, but it is a ML barrel.

I loaded the 110 grains of powder, pushed the treated wool wad in through the crown. I then set the Nosler on the wad and with a short starter pushed the bullet through the crown and down into the bore. I remember thinking uh-oh - this might be to loose but then I dismissed the though grabbed the range rod and started pushing the bullet down. It got about a third of the way down and then tightened up so bad I really needed to tap it down with the rod. I finally got it down and seated but it would never work for hunting. Shot the rifle at one of the two raining birds - bird destroyed! I was not going to load another but I was optimistic and thought maybe the next one would be better - it werenot. Shot the final bird and then wen to shooting more chips with the 185's

And then.... the rains came - packed up QUICKLY and headed back in...

He are a few photos of the shoot...

Old 08-30-2015, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting. We are getting a lot of the smoke from out there. The moon was red last night.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have not tried the Partitions sabotless yet but from past posts from the non smokers, they seem to be more difficult than other bullets. The jacket is thick, base has exposed lead and the partition seems to cause some problems. Sizing them is also a tiny bit harder.

The cheap Nosler Sporting HG 250gr though is fairly cheap and simple to get shooting say-bo-less.

Ive finally got a good feel for how tight i can chance on mine after the barrel is fouled. It seems if i can get it started, it will go down to the powder. Bore seems very uniform the full length even fouled. The last time out i actually left it fouled from 2 days earlier just as a test. I only cleaned the flash channel.

Ive been using the fiber wads. I think they may yield a little more velocity with BH209 vs wool but im not sure. Busta seemed to think so in one of his old posts. I really want to find out what kind of velocity im getting. I cant use the chrono at the public range ive been using lately.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:05 PM
Dominant Buck

very nice shooting. I kind of figured you'd make that White shoot them.

That picture of the fire is an awesome picture, but I would rather see green trees, no fire, and no smoke. That sure is a shame. Living in the woods myself, I understand the dangers of fires.