Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
58cal hits water jug with authority! >

58cal hits water jug with authority!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

58cal hits water jug with authority!

Old 08-31-2015, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
Can you imagine owning a 58-cal inline with a twist between 1:60 and 1:70?..... shooting patched roundballs and Blackhorn?
T7,

I have a T/C Firehawk .58 inline (1:38) with a 3x9 scope mounted on it that I shoot patched round balls through. I have tried Pyrodex RS, Triple 7 FFg and Goex FFg black and it prefers the taste of Goex the best. I shot a doe with it some years back. She came through on a trail about 50 yd. above where I had placed my climber and stopped broadside so I poked a .570 rb through her lungs. She spun around and ran about 35-40 yds. and flopped. I later found some lung matter on the tree behind where she stood when I squeezed off the shot! I don't hunt with it anymore because I'm just not into inlines but maybe I should get it out and play with it again for grins. Tried .58 Maxi's in it once and only once... too d@mn punishing to shoot!

I also have a T/C .58 Hawken I bought two years ago that's never been fired.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 08-31-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:21 PM
Banned

I had the h&r with the .58cal and slow twist. Darn neat rifle! I sold it before I could have fun with it. It was darn near mint inside and out.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wish someone would make a CVA, T/C or Knight inline with 1:60/70 twist in 54 or 58-cal. Notice I don't mention custom manufacturer" for I want the price to be under 6-7 bills for black/blued.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 08-31-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:08 PM
Banned

T7 you can buddy. Bob Hoyt can take a barrel and give you what ever caliber and twist you want as long as theres enough meat on the bone. I think he charges under $150.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
I had the h&r with the .58cal and slow twist. Darn neat rifle! I sold it before I could have fun with it. It was darn near mint inside and out.
Jon...

I still don't understand why T/C went with a 1:38 twist in that .58 Firestorm rifle... they could have made those barrels with a slow twist, but it does shoot a good group with patched round balls. It has a simple striker design with #11 ignition and it never failed during any of my shooting sessions with it. The only downfall is that it doesn't have a removable breech plug and has to be flushed if you really want to make sure it's thoroughly clean. I usually swabbed the bore good then plugged the #11 nipple and poured in some good BP cleaner like Butch's and let that stand for awhile at the breech then used a flushing nipple afterward with so I didn't have to remove the scope etc.

BPS
Old 08-31-2015, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I might look into that soon. Thanks Jon.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:49 PM
Banned

Forgot, but the 27th of Sept i'll be in new mexico with this hawken. I almost got her dialed in where i need it, so hopefully i can lay a buck down with her finally!
Old 09-01-2015, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
I wish someone would make a CVA, T/C or Knight inline with 1:60/70 twist in 54 or 58-cal. Notice I don't mention custom manufacturer" for I want the price to be under 6-7 bills for black/blued.
I'd be willing to bet that (unfortunately) that will never happen as a production gun. Just no demand at all. Your only option is to get one made, but if you want one... go for it.

You should find a Knight MK-85 .50 cal in excellent condition, then have the bore reamed to what you want. You'd probably have $400 total in it.