Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
250g Monoflex--50g Blackhorn >

250g Monoflex--50g Blackhorn

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

250g Monoflex--50g Blackhorn

Old 08-28-2015, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 250g Monoflex--50g Blackhorn

The 250g Monoflex was tested this morning using 50 grain of Blackhorn. However, a short black Harvester sabot was used, instead of the included sabot. Range was 25 yard. The bullet was shot at carpet, plywood, and water jugs.

The bullet went through the carpet, plywood, 3 water jugs, and into the fourth water jug where it parked. The front jug had the cap blown off, and it carried part of the jug away with it. The second jug had the top third ripped away. The third jug had a hole in, and a hole out. The fourth jug only had the hole in, and it held the bullet.

A sixth jug was included in the set, because it was feared the bullet wouldn't expand, and would over penetrate. Previously, tipped bullets, hollow point bullets, and soft point bullets did not work when driven through the carpet, and plywood by 50 grain of powder. The Lehigh bullet was the sole bullet that functioned. Today this bullet joined the Lehigh bullet; they are the only bullets that function when pushed through carpet, plywood, and water jugs by only 50g Blackhorn.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:34 AM
Spike

Ron, that is the way they looked when I tested the 452 and the 458 Monoflex, with 110 gr of BH 209 at 200 yards with 5 water jugs, and they both made it it the 3rd jug.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

That is a nice looking bullet. I think that Monoflex bullet might be the best hunting bullet Hornady has built. I would prefer more penetration in the test but the results look good.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sabot, with the depth of that cavity I am surprised it made it that far. That's a LOT of braking in a pure water test. It more than likely would penetrate even better in a real world live animal environment.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:16 PM
Dominant Buck

interesting expansion. As for penetration, with that very light load VS a say, hunting charge, that might make all the difference. Also you'd wonder what happens when you push that bullet real hard for accuracy and distance. But a most interesting test there. I can picture a use for that out of say my Knight LK-II which is my short range Tree rifle. I normally shoot 80 grains of T-7 2f out of it. That might be a good deer stopper there. I will have to look that bullet up.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CVADAVE
Ron, that is the way they looked when I tested the 452 and the 458 Monoflex, with 110 gr of BH 209 at 200 yards with 5 water jugs, and they both made it it the 3rd jug.
Have you shot an animal with the bullet?
Old 08-29-2015, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can buy the Monoflex .458 version in bulk at a good savings vs the Barnes 250gr bullets. Sadly my ULA does not seem to like .458 bullets which is rather odd.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...ON-AND-BULLETS
Old 08-29-2015, 06:57 AM
Spike

Yes I have, 2 deer and 5 coyotes, all were pass thru's, 1 deer and 2 coyotes were 125 yards and less, exit hole was a little bigger than a golf ball, the other deer was 165 yards, exit hole, you could stick 2 fingers in it, or just smaller than a golf ball, we checked. The other coyotes were 150 to 297 yards, here is a picture of one of the coyotes from 250 yards.

I also use these in my CVA 45 cal Kodiak sabotless and have taken a couple of coyotes with it. I like the bullet in both guns, it is very accurate, and has proven to be one of the better bullets out of both gun for me from Hornady.

Last edited by CVADAVE; 08-29-2015 at 06:59 AM.