Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
PR 260 Grain Extreme Elite >

PR 260 Grain Extreme Elite

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

PR 260 Grain Extreme Elite

Old 08-28-2015, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
And that 250gr PB retained how much weight in the same test?

Oh yeah, about 170gr vs nearly 100% on this PR 40cal bullet. Its sure is over expanded in my book but at least it still has a recognizable shank left.

This is just sad considering the price.

At $8/12,,,yes it performed better but nothing to rave about.
It was also the worst example. Test the 270gr Platinum.

Better yet the 338gr Platinum. It kills elk pretty easily. I'm sure it can kill some water bottles.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cheapest PR bullet against the 2nd cheapest PB sinker. Seems like a fair comparison. The PR bullet has no plating. Im sure it flies better than a PB.

So we need to try the much more expensive PB Plat to make it a fair comparison. ...um ok....I think we kinda did that already with a 45cal 300gr PB Plat.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, and the Platinum did well. My point is, if you're going to use a PB. Use the right one. Some fail bad. Some don't. Comparing to another bullet doesn't make it work better, or worse. It's a bad choice.

Common sense says use the one that works. Money should be a non issue if it's just used to hunt with.

Everyone praises the 460gr NoExcuse. That's fine it's a good bullet. however, make the NoExcuse 245gr, and give a big hollow point, and see how it does? You want to compare the 460gr NE to a PB? Use the 405gr, or 444gr PB. Simple. Those PB's have killed water buffalo, and knocked it down with one shot. All on video.

Using the worse PB in a torture test is ridiculous. I have no dog in this fight. I just like to see something get a fair chance. A light hollow point PB is a horrible choice for hunting. It's a conical. Use a heavy one.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...powerbelt.html
Old 08-28-2015, 04:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ed's 350gr HP did well too and they are super cheap if Dan is still casting them for sale. Lyman sells the mold and Lee sells the sizing die if not.

A sub 300gr 50cal soft lead HP conical is silly. No matter what the cost. Thats probably why NoExcuses don't make any.

Using the cheapest PR bullet seemed fair. Now i wonder how the most expensive Dead Center performs and its still cheaper than any PB i think.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Read my first sentence.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry, am not interested in going back to 2011, and finding your first post.

All's i did was provide a link to some factual information. Facts to me, are better than emotions, opinions, or references to far off hearsay.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you would have read my post you'd see I commented on the test you did, and the link wasn't needed.

The problem with your so called facts is they don't show how the bullets perform on game. So, how is it helpful to a hunter?
Old 08-29-2015, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

These tests are helpful to a hunter, because they show comparative results between bullets. If one hunts, and knows how one particular bullet did on a hunt, and how it did in these tests, one can get an idea how other bullets will do hunting, by comparing test results.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, it shows how they compare to another bullet, but not how they perform on game.

If a bullet does well on game, but another one does better on your test. How does that help a hunter? Dead is dead. They may pick the one that does the best in your test when the one that didn't do as well on your test was a good bullet on game.

A lot of times a bullet will do well on a torture test, but won't perform well on game. Some bullets take a lot to make them expand. They may pencil through game, but look good on a torture test. Other bullets may perform perfect on game, but over expand on a torture test.

Your tests do show how bullets perform at the extreme. However, i'm not sure if i'd use it as the only reason to use a bullet for hunting. A hunter needs to consider more than the test results.

I think an accurate test would be a deer hide in front of ballistic gel for a deer hunter. Was too expensive to do I know, but would give more info for a hunter. The only way to simulate hitting bone on entry is to use bone. Bone shatters. Not sure carpet and plywood acts the same. The problem is you don't always hit bone. Especially, when you don't aim for it. What happens if you pick a tough bullet that does well in your test, and then the shot on game goes through both lungs, and never touches any bone? Will it pencil through?

So many variables I would hope hunters pick a bullet for more reasons than these test results. Try to imagine how the bullet will work in all situations. Then make a choice. I know a lot of guys here are doing that. I'm talking to the ones who just take the best results on these test as a final decision on what bullet to use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.