Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Jeeps first off road adventure >

Jeeps first off road adventure

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Jeeps first off road adventure

Old 08-25-2015, 03:52 PM
Banned

Default Jeeps first off road adventure

Not quite ready yet! Found that the exhaust pipe where it goes into the muffler, the muffler section actually broke out and every time i fill the fuel tank, that exhaust heats it up to the boil where the fuel starts to boil and builds up massive amounts of pressure in the tank so even the roll over valve and hoses are just misting all the fuel pressure

Found that out taking her for her first 4x4 trip up a nice mountain trail I enjoy going to visit during the summer and fall months.

Great news is, no other problems. Carb did perfect at 11,000 feet, brakes worked nicely, tranny and 4 low worked perfect. She rides like a very light weight tank but she'll squeeze into tight spots.

I was going to take it for the CO muzzle loader season but with us only having 1 elk tag, we need the atv's more so we can get in through the very small atv trails where some elk hang out now and then. Not a good elk area but a very enjoyable place to hunt deer and grouse.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are making superchargers now for that engine MD. Would seriously help in better fuel/air mix. Especially in upper altitudes. Not too awful expensive either.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:30 PM
Banned

oh heck no! More to break LOL. It's been professionally rebuilt and jetted for high altitude.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's a good looking Jeep.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Only thing I've ever broken on a supercharger is the belt. Got many hours/miles on my truck (around 120k miles and lord knows how many of those were slow gearing up and around mountainsides or through muddy bottoms). Have you got the single barrel or the 2 barrel carb on that one?
Old 08-26-2015, 03:55 PM
Dominant Buck

My friend had a U.S. surplus military jeep when I was sixteen. Him and I would go off road with it as they lived in the country. We rolled it on its side twice, broke the windshield off, damaged the running boards, and something about this big hook thing on the front we broke. No idea what that was. Anyway, his Dad took it away from him. We never could figure that out.. they are a lot of fun to drive and they do go in the stuff.

Couldn't you pull a trailer with that Jeep and take the ATV that way?
Old 08-26-2015, 07:37 PM
Banned

a small atv trailer you certainly could. Its just a lot of extra weight to pull with a rebuilt engine. Not ready to put it under a real strain just yet.

Single barrel carb with the 3 speed. It sucks up gas like crazy but a brick shape never really was meant to get good MPG! LOL.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL yeah I've had several Jeeps over the years. Loved all but one of them. Was under the hood of that dang lemon more than behind the wheel! Is that one the 4 banger or inline six shooter? The 4 I had with 6's were dang near bulletproof. The 4 banger's the one I had all the trouble with. Broke the cam, busted timing chain more than once, sheared the distributor gear (seeing the pattern there?) never could get the air/fuel mix right. Carb sucked and not in a good way. Dang thing went through valve guides like a fat kid does soda. First wife would always tell me I spent more time under the hood of that Jeep than I did with her. I'd always say "I like the Jeep". Never could figure out why we got divorced
Old 08-26-2015, 09:51 PM
Banned

258 inline 6.

When we rebuilt it, we took it up to a local shop where the guy does racing engines and had him rebuild the head and install hardened valve seats so we could run unleaded fuel.

We've certainly had our share of trouble over the year it took to get it back on the road, but that was mainly due to today's sloppy job on quality parts. Installed a new distributor and within 30 miles the condenser went out! Then the sending unit, a nice ROUND o ring rather than a flat gasket. Kept working its way out and after the 3rd pull down on the tank, I noticed a tiny rubber o ring around one of the return line areas on the sending unit was crumbling and fell out! Got that all fixed and now just waiting on the exhaust. T

The shop said hes going to have it ready on friday and install a new exhaust with a baffled glass pack that will hold up on the rough trails. Hope its not loud, I only like that on a good car, not my hunting rig!
Old 08-27-2015, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I had a 1977 CJ5 258 inline 6. Ran a 500cfm Holly 4bbl on a Edelbrock manifold. Nice rig but I decided I wanted a hard top and V8.
1979 CJ7 304 V8, factory posi trac was a POS. Hauled a lot of deer from the woods and got in to some way back fishing too.

Sold it for down payment to buy my first house.
Got replaced in 1985 with a new CJ 7 but again with the 258 inline 6 I feel much better than the 304 I still have it with 289,000 and no smoke yet.

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.