Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Hornady 350 Grain FP >

Hornady 350 Grain FP

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady 350 Grain FP

Old 08-22-2015, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hornady 350 Grain FP

shguns sent this bullet to test. Range was 25 1/2 yard. Powder charge was 80g Blackhorn.

The photo above, is of the set 0.2 second after impact. It shows the horse up on it's hind legs. The horse also spun about a foot to the right. The bullet tore through the carpet, plywood, and all the jugs, and buried itself in the phone book. All of the jugs had more damage than just a hole in and a hole out. Some had significant tears on both entrance, and exit. It may be i pulled the lead out of the jacket when i removed it from the pages of the book, but i don't think i did. The combined weight of the lead, and jacket is 322.7 grain.

Last edited by ronlaughlin; 08-23-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty impressive. It's windy here too.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Killed more than a few piggies with that bullet. It's most definitely NOT a shoulder hitter. Dang thing ruins anything and everything it hits! If you care about the shoulder meat and you have it over 1400 fps, avoid a shoulder shot! I don't think I've ever seen the jacket sep. before though. Never found a jacket in a hog anyway.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:05 PM
Dominant Buck

I used to shoot some Remington .458 405 grain that looked like that bullet, and they were a real hard hitter. One reason I purchase the Lee Mold to make the same bullet. Except when made from pure lead they come of 423 grains. And don't have the fancy copper jacket.

That bullet looks like it really did a number. Might that make a good large game bullet in your opinion? It looks like it held together well, and did expand.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

cayugad, the only thing I've ever taken with the .458 SOCOM is hogs and that's one of the bullets I load for it. Taken some pretty big hogs with that one with absolutely no problems at all with penetration. I wouldn't be afraid to use it in a ML'er on Elk. It's not a long range bullet by any means but at ML'er speeds I wouldn't be afraid at all of a 150 yard shot. But like I said, it's a nasty sucker at speed. Slower would be less destructive I would imagine but I know at around 1400+ it is a meat grinder. If memory serves I load that one up to between 1750 and 1800 FPS which comes out to around 2400 foot pounds of muzzle energy!