Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Flounder' 500 Grain Boolit >

Flounder' 500 Grain Boolit

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Flounder' 500 Grain Boolit

Old 08-20-2015, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Flounder' 500 Grain Boolit

Range was 25 yards. Powder charge was 80g Blackhorn. A wad was used between the boolit, and the powder. The boolit destroyed the first two jugs, and left a hole in and out through the next two jugs. The boolit was captured by the fifth jug.

The powder charge of 80g is a way plenty for this boolit. The primer from the first shot could barely be removed from the breech plug using fingernails. The primer from the second shot required a tool to remove it from the breech plug. The primer from the third shot was really stuck good, and was a struggle to remove from the breech plug using the tool. All three primers leaked right through the primer cup. Before shooting any more of these boolits from Art, and some coming from Ed, a 5/32" drill will be used in the flame channel of the breech plug. Hopefully this will reduce enough of the pressure on the primers, so they can be removed without a struggle.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:18 AM
Banned

a beauty and very easy on the wallet.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ron,

The powder charge of 80g is a way plenty for this boolit.

You are correct especially with BH. Your 80 grain load is a full hunting load with that bullet or actually most any bullet over 350 grains. Properties of 'progressive burning' BH approach maximum efficiency of the bullet.

IMO using 80 grains of BH on that bullet would be comparable with using 120 grains of BH on the other bullets you have been testing - sort of screws the testing process as far as comparisons.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm betting 80 grains BH with that 500 grainer made you see some stars for a second or 2.

I think also rather than a wad, those sub bases would be of a particular use with these boolits. May want to give them a try with them in the future. If you don't have any Ron and want to give a couple a try just yell and Ill send you a few.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Ron,
Well, it held together pretty well. I thought it might make it to the phone book. The other ones, (my lightweights), should be easier on things.
Art
Old 08-20-2015, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, i was concerned about over penetration, so the milk jug was added. Seems the mushrooming was about perfect, and it didn't penetrate too deep after all. What a wonderful bullet, Art!
Old 08-20-2015, 12:48 PM
Banned

what would really be interesting is finding out how many jugs it takes to make a bullet start to expand and how many before max expansion takes place. I think that would require one of those $75,000 - $100,000 slow motion cameras though.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

So, no problems with ignition and this easy loading bullet?
Old 08-20-2015, 02:01 PM
Dominant Buck

If you could, how far did that conical expand to? It looks like the top of that is over an inch wide. Think of the hole that puts in a game animal. I shoot a similar bullet but with Triple Seven 2f powder. Great test. And thanks Flounder. That was one I wanted to see.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

Gotta love conicals!! I was also surprised it didn't make the phone book. Maybe the .451 Ed's lead will...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.