Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
States requiring more than .40 caliber >

States requiring more than .40 caliber

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

States requiring more than .40 caliber

Old 08-12-2015, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default States requiring more than .40 caliber

Okay, Ron brought up a point that his state required the use of a bullet larger than .40 caliber in it's muzzleloading whitetail regs. Illinois isn't the same. This got me curious as to actually how many states have this requirement. And since I am primarily on my rear end till the Doc's actually see fit to get off of theirs and fix me dang knee I have some time on my hands. Here are all the states with this requirement.

Colorado (Elk and Moose)
Iowa
Kentucky (Elk)
Montana

There were a few more that had this requirement for ML pistols but allowed .40 for rifle. I also noted a couple that allow for Lead or Jacketed bullets but no copper solids! That one was interesting.

Last edited by super_hunt54; 08-12-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:54 PM
Dominant Buck

And this is only "muzzle loader season" correct? For instance a .40 caliber could be used with a muzzle loader in the modern season. Is that correct?
Old 08-12-2015, 02:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Oklahoma requires the use of a .40 caliber or larger muzzleloader for deer hunting.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Okay, Ron brought up a point that his state required the use of a bullet larger than .40 caliber in it's muzzleloading whitetail regs. Illinois is the same. This got me curious as to actually how many states have this requirement. And since I am primarily on my rear end till the Doc's actually see fit to get off of theirs and fix me dang knee I have some time on my hands. Here are all the states with this requirement.

Alaska
Colorado (Elk and Moose)
Connecticut
Delaware (Min. .42)
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kentucky (Elk)
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Jersey
New York
North Dakota
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Dakota
Vermont
Virginia

There were a few more that had this requirement for ML pistols but allowed .40 for rifle. I also noted a couple that allow for Lead or Jacketed bullets but no copper solids! That one was interesting.
Not sure where you get your information, but it's wrong for Pennsylvania.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Flintlock Muzzleloader Season: Only single-barrel long-guns .44 caliber or larger, or hanguns .50 caliber or larger with a flintlock ignition system. The firearm must be an original or reproduction of a gun used prior to 1800, with iron, open "V" or notched sights (fiber-optic inserts are permitted). A flintlock ignition system consists of a hammer containing a naturally-occurring stone which is spring-propelled onto an iron or steel frizzen, which, in turn, creates sparks to ignite a gunpowder. Flintlock muzzleloader hunters may use "any single projectile," including sabots, and mini and maxi balls.
Antlerless Muzzleloader Season: Only single-barrel muzzleloading long-guns .44 caliber or larger, or muzzleloading handguns .50 caliber, including in-line and percussion sporting arms. Use of scopes and other lawful sighting devices is permitted. Fiber optic inserts may be used.
That be directly from the PA site there Grouse. http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=591283&mode=2

Falcon, I only included states that required OVER .40 caliber. Most of the other states not included in the list were .40 caliber minimum while some posted no minimum and a few posted .32-.38

Cayugad, yes this is for the muzzleloader seasons. I would have to delve a lot deeper to find out any restrictions of muzzleloader size requirements during regular firearms seasons. I'm bored but I aint THAT bored.

Last edited by super_hunt54; 08-12-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

That be directly from the PA site there Grouse. http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=591283&mode=2

Falcon, I only included states that required OVER .40 caliber. Most of the other states not included in the list were .40 caliber minimum while some posted no minimum and a few posted .32-.38

Cayugad, yes this is for the muzzleloader seasons. I would have to delve a lot deeper to find out any restrictions of muzzleloader size requirements during regular firearms seasons.
Yes, that link you supplied clearly states the law. Not sure why you don't understand it???

You must use a long gun 44cal and larger. And a pistol 50cal and larger. That has nothing to do with bullets my friend.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

General Statewide Seasons
(2) muzzleloading long gun of any type or caliber;
Old 08-12-2015, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh hell, didn't even think about that!!! There were a few that stated BORE size and not PROJECTILE size. Mannnnnnn,,,, now I gotta go back through ALL that again!!!
Old 08-12-2015, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now here's an interesting question. In rifle season it says you must use an expanding bullet. But in ML season it says below. Just wondering about the XP bullet.

Flintlock muzzleloader hunters may use "any single projectile," including sabots, and mini and maxi balls.

Last edited by Grouse45; 08-12-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh hell, didn't even think about that!!! There were a few that stated BORE size and not PROJECTILE size. Mannnnnnn,,,, now I gotta go back through ALL that again!!!
But thanks for bringing this up. I'm concerned about the XP now in rifle season. I would say no for sure.

But ML season maybe???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.