Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
300 Grain Barnes Original >

300 Grain Barnes Original

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

300 Grain Barnes Original

Old 08-11-2015, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 300 Grain Barnes Original

Scott sent three of these bullet to test. Range was 25 yard. Powder charge was 80g Blackhorn.

The bullet went through everything in it's path. It left gaping holes in the back of every jug. The photo shows the back of the last jug. The bullet shredded the back of the phone book on it's way to Eenar, never to be seen again.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, every time. That bullet won't expand unless it hits something really hard. Probably one of the better for Cape buffalo and very large game.

Last edited by Grouse45; 08-11-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

The BO is a crazy bullet. Tough as nails and they usually shoot great. This is not an endorsement as much as it is a warning. If you want two holes and expansion is a secondary concern, the BO is your bullet.

Them suckers are about a buck a pop though and only available in 50 packs.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like Ole Fred knew what he was doing when he designed those originals.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Game Stalker
Looks like Ole Fred knew what he was doing when he designed those originals.
Fred was like me, he liked to disable the shoulders and make the animal do the "muzzle shuffle" Made those bullets to penetrate heavy shoulder bone.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Fred was like me, he liked to disable the shoulders and make the animal do the "muzzle shuffle" Made those bullets to penetrate heavy shoulder bone.
I no longer use lead on shoulders. But if I did, this would be the bullet.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:23 PM
Banned

Shoulder shots waste a good deal of meat. I remember one year we got a doe and just had to throw the entire off shoulder to the yotes as it was nothing but blood shot jelly. Not cool from a hunters perspective. I hunt for the meat and adventure, not to ruin good quality meat.

Ron, I take it you did not find the bullet? I have satellite so I can not watch the videos or else it runs my bandwidth out.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tend to the high shoulder shot MD. Your still a pup but when you get my age there youngin you will appreciate the advantage of dropping an animal where it stands. I also try to go big and slow (slower) so there is little meat damage really. I live currently in a SG only state which is why I have been getting seriously back into ML'ing. Damn slug guns of mine make me have to go back about 12 feet or so to retrieve me dang shoulder!
Old 08-11-2015, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I tend to the high shoulder shot MD. Your still a pup but when you get my age there youngin you will appreciate the advantage of dropping an animal where it stands.........
That's what I'm talkin' about. Around here, if an animal runs after a lethal hit, someone else will shoot it and claim they put the kill on it to make it their deer. I like DRT because that's hard to argue with.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Game Stalker
That's what I'm talkin' about. Around here, if an animal runs after a lethal hit, someone else will shoot it and claim they put the kill on it to make it their deer. I like DRT because that's hard to argue with.
Ran into that more than a few times in PA Grouse. Deer running dead with a perfectly placed heart/lung shot and someone else putting a round in it (with it laying there mostly dead) and claiming it. Not to mention, dead right there shots= NO LACTIC ACID! No gamey flavor in other words. Or at least very little.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.