Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Precision Rifle 250g QT >

Precision Rifle 250g QT

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Precision Rifle 250g QT

Old 08-04-2015, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Precision Rifle 250g QT

Chaded sent this 250g QT Polymer Tip to be tested, so this morning it was shot into carpet, shelving, and water jugs.

Once again the load was 80g Blackhorn, and the range was 25 yard.

The bullet now weighs 210.9 grain. It was found in the third jug, which was left in pretty good shape, with just a hole in, and no damage on the back side. The front two jugs were shredded. The last two jugs were undamaged, and will be used to test another bullet.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like a Powerbelt.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Im glad he sent you those. I could not find the few i had left. I was very curious how they would compare.

Weight retention is about what i would have guessed but i didn't think they would flatten quite that much. It would be very interesting to see if the Dead Center version flattens less.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 08-04-2015 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:02 AM
Dominant Buck

So what penetration does three water jugs, carpet and plywood mean to you? It would suggest to me that it would be a good deer bullet. I was surprised at your expansion. Thanks much for the test. I was looking through my bullet collection and found some all lead 250 grain Keith Nose pure lead boollets from Hunterman. I am saving up milk jugs as I write, as I want to test them in the same manner.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cayugad
So what penetration does three water jugs, carpet and plywood mean to you? It would suggest to me that it would be a good deer bullet. I was surprised at your expansion. Thanks much for the test. I was looking through my bullet collection and found some all lead 250 grain Keith Nose pure lead boollets from Hunterman. I am saving up milk jugs as I write, as I want to test them in the same manner.
Most seem to think if it doesn't go through 5 jugs the bullet won't work.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Given the choice between a bullet that expands properly and penetrates 5 jugs vs 3. I think the 5 jug bullet is the clear winner.

Two holes are better than one assuming the bullet had enough energy transfer and tissue damage in the animal.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:19 AM
Banned

Also have to consider that a bullet thats made of copper and opens up to around 1" diameter, isn't going to penetrate as deep due to the mass of the bullet. 1" diameter bullet thats shaped into a cupped flower, thats pulling a TON of power through the body cavity.

Think of a parachute being made of a solid material and then being pushed through the ocean.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Given the choice between a bullet that expands properly and penetrates 5 jugs vs 3. I think the 5 jug bullet is the clear winner.

Two holes are better than one assuming the bullet had enough energy transfer and tissue damage in the animal.
So, does that mean the Precision bullet doesn't get a pass through?
Old 08-04-2015, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
So what penetration does three water jugs, carpet and plywood mean to you? It would suggest to me that it would be a good deer bullet......
The 250g T-EZ, and the 250g XTP also penetrated 3 jugs in a same test. They are both considered excellent deer bullets; it seems this would also be good for deer. My only concern is it may be too long for my rifle.

Photo shows it next to a 200g shockwave.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
So, does that mean the Precision bullet doesn't get a pass through?
Im sort of on the fence atm. I would have liked to see more penetration and less flattening. Maybe the Dead Center version performs better.

I think it did ok for a soft lead 250gr bullet but nothing i would call stellar considering the price. There are cheaper bullets that appear to perform better but they may not shoot as flat either.

I would like to see more about this bullet before forming an opinion. Ive shot this same bullet before and i did shoot ok. I suspect it will shoot better in my faster twist 45s.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.