Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Been a long time!! >

Been a long time!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Been a long time!!

Old 08-04-2015, 07:34 AM
Banned

Default Been a long time!!

Well, I took a nice long break from the forum, I guess I better post some updates!!

Bought this back in April of last year as a new hunting rig. Had to rebuild the motor, got that done and she friggin purrs! New yoke, seals, u joints, brakes/cylinders,rear leaf springs, bushings, HD shackles that you can grease, fender flares, aluminum 1/4 panel and rocker panel covers, the entire back end was rewired and I installed LED taillights/blinkers/side markers, new gas tank which was a real chore due to faulty o rings. O rings on a round surface do but one thing, THEY ROLL OUT! I found some flat seals and that fixed the leak for good. Installed a roll over valve, new mudstar tires, entire body tub was coated with truck bed liner for easy cleaning, just finished a 105amp alternator conversion as the original 35amp would not charge the battery at slow speeds or the winch when it goes on.

before

Updates

Its been a fun project, just dealing with bad NEW parts has been a real thorn in the rear end, especially the new steering gear box. We went through 4 of them from NAPA before we said screw it and went and adjusted the thing ourself as the factory that rebuilds them couldnt figure out how to do it correctly. Also put a new updated steering shaft in. The old one was a little bent and rubbed down on the shock mount.

I'll get more pics later once shes clean up and the alternator conversion is finished. Waiting on a fuseable link to arrive in the mail.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did the right front flat tire happen at the end of the photo-shoot, or at the beginning?
You must be single! Two seat vehicle and a small gas grill.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:37 AM
Banned

haha ive got a bed warmer, just older pics. We added a rear seat to it some months back.

That flat was with some nasty old dry rot tires it came with. They lasted for some time before the sidewall blew out LOL.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
haha ive got a bed warmer, just older pics. We added a rear seat to it some months back.

That flat was with some nasty old dry rot tires it came with. They lasted for some time before the sidewall blew out LOL.
It's sweet just the same. Fun vehicle to have.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome back, Mountain Devil. The Jeep looks good.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:19 PM
Dominant Buck

I always liked the older Jeeps. And they really do go about anywhere it seems ... within reason of course.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Within reason - That's the key. Hence the winch.
I've heard it said the the problem with 4WD vehicles is that they allow you to get stuck in the most inaccessible areas.
But that is a cool looking vehicle. I'm thinking of getting a Wrangler myself to do some brush hopping in my neck of the woods. You can pick one up for less than a new ATV and they are a lot more comfortable on your backside.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:35 PM
Banned

yeah but you better look over it darn good! Some abuse the living heck out of them. Check the springs, bushings, fuel tank, frame for cracks and especially for engine/tranny noise.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good to have you back Jon. Hope you stick around

Jeep is looking good! What year is it? My brother in law is (re)building a 77 CJ5 right now.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:37 PM
Banned

its a 73 cj5. Its been fun but very hard on the nerves as its an odd year for jeep. Some things are just impossible to find. 1 or 2 years older makes a huge difference on this one.