Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
About those CVA muzzleloaders >

About those CVA muzzleloaders

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

About those CVA muzzleloaders

Old 08-02-2015, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default About those CVA muzzleloaders

I bought my first MZ around 2002 or '03. The model was a CVA Musket Mag. supposedly capable of a 150 gr. by volume charge. I didn't pay much for it and the barrel steel looked somewhat questionable. Having only an 24 in. barrel, I was never tempted to go beyond an 100 gr. BV charge. I friend had purchased a similar rifle. We later heard that some of these guns were suffering serious failure. CVA stated that guns with a certain serial # were the ones affected. Tonight, while doing a little research, I came upon this:

http://randywakeman.com/DangerousMuz...rsAHistory.htm .

Last edited by JW; 08-03-2015 at 07:47 AM. Reason: E-mail approval to use Wakeman link
Old 08-02-2015, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just....WOW... Never owned a CVA. Was really close to getting a Bergara barrel just a week or two ago but due to some recent medical expenses chose to hold off a bit. Dang glad I did now!!! Bergara barrels are supposed to be some top notch high quality barrels! I guess that project is off the table now! Back to either a GM barrel or my original thought of getting a white!
Old 08-03-2015, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

This company really has the hype down. At one point there was talk about Bergara barrels being better than Green Mtn. Figured it was nonsense. Know that GM barrels are an industry standard w/a well earned reputation.
After reading the linked article, I was reminded of Muley and his Optima. Sent him a PM.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 08-03-2015 at 04:06 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:51 AM
JW
Super Moderator

On a side note. At the very end of the linked article posted by GS authored by R. Wakeman is a copyright blurb. Permission to post that link has been granted Mr. Wakeman.
I asked as well as Mr. Stalker.

JW
Moderator.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

For your side note and peace of mind JW

Linking to Copyrighted Materials

If you publish your work online, you are already in the practice of using links to enhance your content. The Web's basic architecture relies heavily on the ability of webpages to link to other pages to allow natural navigation between related content. It is hard to imagine the smooth functioning (or even continued existence) of the Web without hypertext links that act as a reference system identifying and enabling quick access to other material. Fortunately, courts generally agree that linking to another website does not infringe the copyrights of that site, nor does it give rise to a likelihood of confusion necessary for a federal trademark infringement claim. However, different kinds of linking raise different legal issues, and the law is not entirely settled in all of these areas. Moreover, some linking activities may expose you to liability for contributory copyright infringement or trafficking in circumvention technology in violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).

Types of Links
Deep Linking: The most straightforward case is so-called "deep linking," which refers to placing a link on your site that leads to a particular page within another site (i.e., other than its homepage). No court has ever found that deep linking to another website constitutes copyright or trademark infringement. Therefore, you can link to other websites without serious concerns about legal liability for the link itself, with the exception of activities that might be contributory copyright infringement or trafficking in circumvention technology (discussed below).
Link to media law page for the rest of it http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/link...hted-materials
Old 08-03-2015, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here we go again with Randy's bull.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is old news. I understand this is some more new stuff that has happened. But EVERYONE knows by now that CVA sells nothing but cheap/unsafe foreign made muzzleloaders. Buy and shoot at your own risk is all they need to say on the label.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Randy for your unbiased opinion.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tom, his name is Tom.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:14 AM
JW
Super Moderator

For what it is worth I own and shoot 3 CVA's like each one of them. Will I sell them? No.

But it did open my eyes and I did go look at the date of manufacture of what I own.

And I will be watching very very closely for the 'Brand Bashing' so BE Warned!

JW

Last edited by JW; 08-03-2015 at 09:18 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.