Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Sizing for muzzleloader >

Sizing for muzzleloader

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sizing for muzzleloader

Old 08-02-2015, 05:13 AM
Spike

Default Sizing for muzzleloader

I have been reloading for about a year. Thought I would try casting bullets for my 50 cal muzzle loader. Bought a Lee REAL. Bullets look fine. Question . Do I need to lube and size before I use them? Seems to me you would be sizing when you ram them down the barrel? THANKS in advance for your help...
Old 08-02-2015, 05:34 AM
Typical Buck

As far as lubing yes you should. I've heard of a few people who don't but most of us do. As far as sizing, it depends on you mold. If you had a mold made up for you to your specs for your bore size, then you can get away from sizing them. Of the .451 and .452 sizing dies that I purchased from lee, they sized my bullets to .450.5 and 451.5. For most shooters they find if the bullets are slightly oversized for their bore they will obtain better accuracy. For example, for my White .451 rifles they like the bullets to be sized to .451.5. This helps to seal the gasses behind the bullet, plus it helps to insure the bullet does not move off the charge while walking around while hunting.

Ed
Old 08-02-2015, 06:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

You do not size Lee's REAL bullets. The graduated rings on the bullets (small diameter at base of bullet and larger diameter at nose of bullet) are designed to be cut by the rifling and sized into the bore when you seat the bullet. I lube them, and use a felt wad under the bullet.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Rifling Engaged At Loading REAL. No need to re-size. I shoot them out of a number of rifles with various bore sizes. The main thing with a REAL is, don't push them hard. I find when I get around 70 grains that is a the sweet area with them. No more, but less is fine. The lube in the grooves is important. It helps them slide down the bore and to seal the bore ... powder to bullet.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

I use lee liquid allox on my lee REAL bullets works great.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry, I misread his question thought his question was pertaining to casting his own bullets. Yes the Lee bullets are fine they way they are and as the others stated you don't need to re-size or lube them.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now I'm cornfused. Why wouldn't you want to lube them Ed?
Old 08-03-2015, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flounder33
Now I'm cornfused. Why wouldn't you want to lube them Ed?
flounder...

Yes, you do want to lube your Lee REAL bullets prior to shooting but not in the same sense as someone sizing and lubing hand cast bullets on a reloading press would do. Cast your REALS from the softest lead you can get...if you can score it easily with a thumbnail that's good. Rub a lube of your choice into the bullets grooves with your fingers.

Personally, I like to use a felt wad (borebutton) between the bullet and powder charge when loading. Some folks use them, some don't but I believe they act as a gas check and can improve accuracy. As far as lubes, there are a number of commercially made ones available on muzzleloading supply sites. You may try a few different ones until you find what you like best. I like one that doesn't get too stiff or waxy when cold or runny when warm out. There are also homemade concoctions that some of the other members here may be willing to share.

BPS