Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Who's tried

Old 08-01-2015, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Who's tried

I was just doing a bit of research and came across this modification for Thompson Centers. Converting the 209's to small rifle primer shells. They are using a .22 hornet shell. Just prime/reprime it. I have suspected what's called "lift" for some time now with mine. I get a low shooter sometimes. Usually means that I was loose on the powder at ignition. Thinking that 209 is creating enough energy to lift the bullet/sabot a bit before the powder gains pressure. I'm wondering if this conversion has been tried by anyone here and whether or not it would provide enough flame to light up BH209?

Edit to add: After further review they actually changed the design and are now using 25 ACP shells. No trimming of the shells needed to fit.

Link to this is here if you want to read up on it all http://www.muzzleloadingbullets.com/Articles.asp?ID=272

Last edited by super_hunt54; 08-01-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't waist your money on it. 209's are much easier and more accurate as well. A guy I know converted and regretted it later. Ronlaughlin likes his I'm pretty sure but I think it's a big waist of time and money.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

NO, no Tom, what i am using is Large Rifle Magnum primers in the special adapters that PRbullet makes, and sells. Those 25 acp brass can only take small primers, and aren't hot enough to burn Blackhorn. Large Rifle Magnum primers work good igniting Blackhorn, whereas the small primers don't.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
NO, no Tom, what i am using is Large Rifle Magnum primers in the special adapters that PRbullet makes, and sells. Those 25 acp brass can only take small primers, and aren't hot enough to burn Blackhorn. Large Rifle Magnum primers work good igniting Blackhorn, whereas the small primers don't.
Yep, my mistake...But more reasons not to get it
Old 08-01-2015, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ron, do those large rifle primers create as much force in your rig as the 209's do? Granted it's not a HUGE variance that I am getting sometimes but it's one that bugs my OCD! Me no likey my OCD to get bugged!
Old 08-02-2015, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

What's noticeable when using the magnum large rifle primers, is the carbon build in the flame channel is less. The build in the flame channel, seems softer when using the Federal large rifle magnum primer.

Another thing noticed is that the flash hole doesn't erode, and grow larger. One of my breech plugs had over 700 shots through it, when i quit counting. The rifle primers seem to burn cleaner.

Can't say anything about the 'force'. Wouldn't know how to measure it.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ron, the easiest way is to shoot a PRB with just the primer and chronograph the velocity.
I am not sure about this but I believe that they still use ground glass in the shotgun primers which would explain why they are hard on BP and vent liner.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chronograph the velocity? They shouldn't exit the barrel! Even a .209 doesn't have THAT much pressure. Maybe enough to move it up the barrel 6 inches or so but not enough to push it out of a barrel with any real measurable speed.

Ron, would you mind linking me to somewhere that makes those adapters. I have 2 spare breech plugs anyway and wouldn't mind getting one done up just to test this out.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Chronograph the velocity? They shouldn't exit the barrel! Even a .209 doesn't have THAT much pressure. Maybe enough to move it up the barrel 6 inches or so but not enough to push it out of a barrel with any real measurable speed.

Ron, would you mind linking me to somewhere that makes those adapters. I have 2 spare breech plugs anyway and wouldn't mind getting one done up just to test this out.

It has been done using a 32cal Green Mountain squirrel rifle.
http://www.namlhunt.com/mlprimers.html
Old 08-02-2015, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
It has been done using a 32cal Green Mountain squirrel rifle.
http://www.namlhunt.com/mlprimers.html
LOL Gm, there is a VAST difference between a little .32cal 45 grain PRB and a .50cal 300gr PRB. But now you have me wondering dag nabbit! Going to make me go out in the back yard and just see for my dang self just how much, if any, speed there would be out of mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.