Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
200 Grain Shockwave >

200 Grain Shockwave

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

200 Grain Shockwave

Old 07-27-2015, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 200 Grain Shockwave

The bullet now weighs 164g. At 25 yard, pushed by 80g Blackhorn, it went through carpet, plywood, 3 jugs, and into the fourth jug where it was found. The fifth jug can be used another day. The first jug was destroyed, flattened, and flew 15-20 feet off to the left, and away. The second jug was split top to bottom on the front face. The third jug had a hole in and out; the fourth jug had a hole in, and held the bullet.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know how hot it is there, but its to darn hot at 96° to shoot here.

However.... I'm picking up a case of propellant and 500 bullet/sabots this week
Old 07-27-2015, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

93 right now.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:41 PM
Dominant Buck

93šs here also. I thought about shooting but walking around outside was just too much. I am not a heat lover. But the thought of going out in the boat, and riding fast sounds pretty good.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, mid 90's here too ... and humid this week. But hey, it is late July

The shockwave/sst are nice. They shoot really well and I would definitely hunt with them. The testing I did a while back, several different sized bullets all did pretty well. Looked about like yours Ron.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 200s (littlest ones) seem to get the best reviews.

Half-hour north of Detroit saw a high of 87 today.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to shoot the 250 and 300 grain SW's but due to some poor performance on a couple of animals (blowing up on shoulders) I dropped them from the hunting supply list. They do shoot very accurately out of both the TC's so when playing at the range they will get used up (still have around 100 of them).
Old 07-27-2015, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here' a SW a guy had that he pulled from his MI whitetail, shooting 120grs loose T7.

Another with 2 T7 pellets.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of these bullets tested through the carpet, plywood, and water jugs, i have never hunted with. Reason is i have mostly hunted with Deep Curl bullets. Most of the Deep Curl bullets i had, i sold, because it seemed they were too valuable to shoot at anything but animals.

However, this particular bullet i have hunted with, and do have some first hand knowledge of how it performs on animals. What i did seasons ago, was spot a herd of antelope in the evening , and sneak on them the next morning. My sneak went well for hundreds of yards, but finally the terrain exposed me, and it was about all i could do to crawl on my belly and get as close as i dared. It was very difficult to range them, because of the grass, and the range finder kept reading 30 yard. Finally it read 340 yard on the hill behind them, so i figured i had a 325 yard shot. I was in full view of the antelope herd, so i decided to shoot while i had a chance. My tag was good only for antlerless, so i carefully glassed the herd, and found a doe that was sleeping kinda broad side to me. After breathing, and practicing, i took the shot. The bullet hit high through one lung, and clipped the backbone. She, never got up; she died in her bed.

The rifle used that day was the same rifle used this day. However the powder charge that day was 115g Blackhorn.

The gps fell out of my pocket whilst crawling like a snake, but it was easy to back trail, because of the furrow i left in the grass.

That picture of my crawl trail, always makes me laugh. Another good happen, was i never crawled into a cactus. After being able to stand, i ranged the dead antelope at 314 yard from where i shot. Two deer also fell to this bullet. One was at about 110 yard, and the other was out at 173 yard per the range finder.

There was no evidence on these 3 animals that the bullet failed to expand.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I shot a total of 11 WhiteTails, 8 or 10 hogs, and a Cow Moose with the 250's-300's. Never had one not open. The Moose was a pure through the ribs lung shot at 60 or so yards. The failures I had were at close range (under 20 yards) and it was blowups not failure to open. Don't think I have ever seen anyone with a FTO till now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.