Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
200 Grain Shockwave >

200 Grain Shockwave

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

200 Grain Shockwave

Old 07-28-2015, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by chaded
You do recall correctly, there was a conversation about it. There is certainly some missing pieces of the puzzle and many believe that there was something wrong with the powder (pellets) or something else. It doesn't make much sense for a bullet known to pass through animals when it expands to not pass through an animal when it doesn't expand. And, since the story is second or third hand information and not Barnesaddicts own, who really knows what happened.
Yes they've been talked about before and now that the subject is brought up again, its also time to show them again. The SW has been in a number of different conversations over the years. Some good, others not so good. However I can attest to their accuracy, as they've always grouped excellent. They just didn't perform on whitetail for me, so I no longer shoot them.

Here's an example of some, not shot into water bottles, but rather shot through paper, OSB and into a clay bank. I've had this photo for quite some time, as I haven't shot them in years. These however are NOT 200gr, but 250gr bullets.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have shot 30 plus Deer with 195 Barnes. Everytime the bullet pencils in and pencils out. Not once in awhile but everytime for me and my hunting partners. Most of the kills were with two 777 pellets. Almost exactly like Rons test showed with 50grns of powder. We then started using 200grn Shockwaves. Are results on Deer size game are much better over all with a 200grn SW then a 195grn barnes. And again like Rons test shows, when the 200grn SW was found it lost a lot of weight but the Deer all died and fairly quickly. The only barnes bullet that has worked well on game in my group is the 250grn MZ Expander, all the rest not good for us.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
We have shot 30 plus Deer with 195 Barnes. Everytime the bullet pencils in and pencils out. Not once in awhile but everytime for me and my hunting partners. Most of the kills were with two 777 pellets. Almost exactly like Rons test showed with 50grns of powder. We then started using 200grn Shockwaves. Are results on Deer size game are much better over all with a 200grn SW then a 195grn barnes. And again like Rons test shows, when the 200grn SW was found it lost a lot of weight but the Deer all died and fairly quickly. The only barnes bullet that has worked well on game in my group is the 250grn MZ Expander, all the rest not good for us.
No other Barnes, like TMZ or TEZ?
Also, was that XTP you like a regular or Mag? What size XTP is that?

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 07-28-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty much known that the 195gr mz needs the velocity compared to the 250's, 290's or others.

But, this post is about the Shockwaves.....
Old 07-28-2015, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
No other Barnes, like TMZ or TEZ?
Also, was that XTP you like a regular or Mag? What size XTP is that?
The .452 250grn regular XTP was good on Deer for us. But again it lost a lot of weight but I didn't care. The TMZ'S, XPB'S, Barnes Originals, all not good for our experiences.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

...The only barnes bullet that has worked well on game in my group is the 250grn MZ Expander, all the rest not good for us.
Wow, I don't even know what to say to that... I can't count how many people I have talked to that have been perfectly pleased with the results of TEZ and Expanders.

I turned a couple hunting buddies on to the 300g Expanders a few years ago and they now refuse to use anything else. This is due to the sole fact that they have out performed any other bullet they have used.

As for the Shockwave, I've only shot paper with them so I have no first hand knowledge. But I will say that one of the guys in the group mentioned above used both 200g and 250g Shockwaves and was blown away by the differences in how the Barnes bullets performed on deer.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TNHagies
Wow, I don't even know what to say to that... I can't count how many people I have talked to that have been perfectly pleased with the results of TEZ and Expanders.

I turned a couple hunting buddies on to the 300g Expanders a few years ago and they now refuse to use anything else. This is due to the sole fact that they have out performed any other bullet they have used.

As for the Shockwave, I've only shot paper with them so I have no first hand knowledge. But I will say that one of the guys in the group mentioned above used both 200g and 250g Shockwaves and was blown away by the differences in how the Barnes bullets performed on deer.
The 250grn MZ Expanders did really well on game. We or I never used the 300grn MZ Expander. My Philosophy is, If you need to get a heavy bullet to kill Deer size game, you really need to look for a better bullet.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

You shot 30 deer with a bullet that was failing? Was 30 the magic number to stop using it?
Old 07-28-2015, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
You shot 30 deer with a bullet that was failing? Was 30 the magic number to stop using it?

Sorry but, that was funny.............
Old 07-28-2015, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good, that was my intention while busting his but.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.