Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
200 Grain Shockwave >

200 Grain Shockwave

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

200 Grain Shockwave

Old 07-27-2015, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Found another photo taken that day.

Those are the antelope. They were bedded there in the dry lake bed. The photo seems to show 3 nice bucks...maybe. They ran off at the shot. Now they are around 500, maybe 600 yard away. Up in the right hand corner are some more antelope, that spooked out of the next coulee at the shot; i didn't know they were there. The dead one is in the lake bed closer than shown in the photo.

At any rate, the bullet seemed to work well that day, on a real live breathing animal.

Those photo of the unexpanded bullet... they were recovered from inside a white tail deer? It seems to me that if a bullet doesn't expand it penetrates deep. All the tests done using the carpet, plywood, and water jugs have shown that to be true. Expanded bullets usually don't penetrate as deeply as the unexpanded bullets. To me this seems to be common knowledge is it not? Those unexpanded bullets should have penetrated through and through any whitetail in the world, and only been found out beyond the deer... It is kinda like they were shot with a sling shot or some such.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, they were found inside whitetails, using the propellants as indicated. You can actually see the hair stuck between the tip and the jacket on one bullet.

There's a lot of controversy over SW bullets from different shooters around the country but, never about accuracy. They can be very accurate. Problem is, no one ever knows what a pass through bullet looks like.

How about a couple photos of its brother..........

Old 07-28-2015, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
..... Problem is, no one ever knows what a pass through bullet looks like.....
Here is what a pass through Barnes looks like.

And here is what a stay inside Barnes looks like.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Was that top bullet shot into a whitetail? Nope, we already know it wasn't. Wasn't it also shot at a velocity less than what Barnes recommends for it to expand properly?

Was that bottom bullet shot into a whitetail? Nope, we already know it wasn't.

Here's a bullet that stopped inside a whitetail:

Here's 2 bullets that passed completely though and were found in the soft dirt behind the whitetails. Shot using 2f:

Old 07-28-2015, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
..... Wasn't it also shot at a velocity less than what Barnes recommends for it to expand properly?....
Well, i don't think it was. Speed at impact was slightly over 1200 fps i believe.

Now, a question we have about the shockwave photo's you posted.

Are they photo of a 200g bullet, and therefore relevant?

Look, if you want me to say the Barnes is a good bullet, i will.... Barnes are good bullet, i would use them anytime, any day.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Well, i don't think it was. Speed at impact was slightly over 1200 fps i believe.

Now, a question we have about the shockwave photo's you posted.

Are they photo of a 200g bullet, and therefore relevant?

Look, if you want me to say the Barnes is a good bullet, i will.... Barnes are good bullet, i would use them anytime, any day.

As I stated on the other post, the SW I believe were both 200gr bullets, where the SST I'm pretty sure was a 250gr bullet.

Nope, you don't have to say Barnes is a good bullet. I didn't bring up Barnes until after the photos were brought forward.

What I'm saying is, the SW bullets are controversial with some shooters. I shot the 200gr SW from my Encore rifles VERY accurately and had one heck of a time recovering whitetail. That same season I immediately switched bullets after that fiasco.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:12 AM
Spike

if you want to see the bullet whrn it worked, look my other post

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...-cal-40-a.html
Old 07-28-2015, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

BarnesAddict....I don't think there is any doubt that a Barnes is considered a better bullet than a shockwave/sst.

But, just because someone somewhere had less than desired performance doesn't condemn the bullet to being bad overall. In fact, the general consensus is that they are pretty good bullets that typically perform well, and usually shoot very good.

IIRC, there was a good deal of conversation on those pics you posted in a thread last year or maybe it was longer ago. My opinon on that 2nd pic... I believe it had to be a dud load. I can't see how it could not do anything unless it was going really, really slow.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ron, nice work on the Antelope!
Old 07-28-2015, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
BarnesAddict....I don't think there is any doubt that a Barnes is considered a better bullet than a shockwave/sst.

But, just because someone somewhere had less than desired performance doesn't condemn the bullet to being bad overall. In fact, the general consensus is that they are pretty good bullets that typically perform well, and usually shoot very good.

IIRC, there was a good deal of conversation on those pics you posted in a thread last year or maybe it was longer ago. My opinon on that 2nd pic... I believe it had to be a dud load. I can't see how it could not do anything unless it was going really, really slow.

You do recall correctly, there was a conversation about it. There is certainly some missing pieces of the puzzle and many believe that there was something wrong with the powder (pellets) or something else. It doesn't make much sense for a bullet known to pass through animals when it expands to not pass through an animal when it doesn't expand. And, since the story is second or third hand information and not Barnesaddicts own, who really knows what happened.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.