Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
200 Grain Lehigh XP >

200 Grain Lehigh XP

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

200 Grain Lehigh XP

Old 07-26-2015, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 200 Grain Lehigh XP

sabotloader sent some Lehigh 200g 40 caliber XP bullets to shoot, so i did.

This is what i shot at.

Here is where the shot was taken.

This is the rifle used, a 45 caliber Omega. Load was 80g Blackhorn, 200g XP, Harvester smooth light blue sabot, W209 primer.

The bullet was found in the sixth (last) jug.

The second jug was toast. The third, and fourth jugs have large shredded tears. The fifth and sixth jugs have holes in and out, but the bullet did not exit the sixth jug even though it punched a hole on the back side. The first jug has some minor splitting at the entrance , but otherwise there is a hole in and a hole out. This i find quite unusual, most times, with most bullets, the first two jugs are shredded, and the rest have just entrance, and exit holes.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do you see much of a difference between the 260grn XP and the 200grn XP in performance?
Old 07-26-2015, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see a TON of difference. The 260 literally blew most all the jugs to shreds. This one just a couple. Seems it may not do the internal damage that the 260 does anywhere near as well. Strange seeing as they are designed exactly the same you would think they would have the same hydraulic performance.

Edit to add: Ron what was the rifle (specifically the twist rate) you used for the 260gr and what is the twist in that Omega? I have a feeling that therein my be the performance difference.

Last edited by super_hunt54; 07-26-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I see a TON of difference. The 260 literally blew most all the jugs to shreds. This one just a couple. Seems it may not do the internal damage that the 260 does anywhere near as well. Strange seeing as they are designed exactly the same you would think they would have the same hydraulic performance.

Edit to add: Ron what was the rifle (specifically the twist rate) you used for the 260gr and what is the twist in that Omega? I have a feeling that therein my be the performance difference.
The flutes are a lot smaller on the 200grn bullet. I didn't see the video yet, doesn't play on my phone.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
The flutes are a lot smaller on the 200grn bullet. I didn't see the video yet, doesn't play on my phone.
Could be that added into the twist rate difference. If the RPM's are slower out of that Omega that would cause less hydraulic affect as well. Combine BOTH smaller flutes as well as slower RPM's and you won't have near the affect.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

My hunting buddy is gonna use the 200grn XP on Deer. Will see how it does.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Could be that added into the twist rate difference. If the RPM's are slower out of that Omega that would cause less hydraulic affect as well. Combine BOTH smaller flutes as well as slower RPM's and you won't have near the affect.
I think both test rifles have the same twist rate, both being TC Omega's and I think the twist in both is 1/28.

I believe the thing that is the difference is the size the flutes and the amount of volume each flute is able to collect and then throw out.

This picture shows the 3 left to right...

40x200 - 452x250 - 458x260

The pictures really do not show the real differences.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah they show enough to see the difference in the width of the flute from the other 2. I believe the performance of the 200 grain would be vastly improved out of a 1:20 twist. If it will shoot accurately out of a 1:20 the RPM's would be increased significantly creating a much greater hydraulic affect.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, i cannot buy into twist being important, except to stabilize the bullet.

In the 1:28 Omega barrel, the bullet will rotate once every 28" it travels. The bullet will rotate once as it travels through 5 of these jugs.

If one were shooting a rifle with a 1:20 twist barrel, the bullet would rotate once every 20" it travels. The bullet would rotate one revolution when it travels through 4 of these jugs, and 1 1/4 revolution when it went through 5 of these jugs.

To me, whether a bullet goes around once, or goes around 1 1/4 times would have, little or no effect on the affect it has on any of the 5, or 6 jugs.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I believe the thing that is the difference is the size the flutes and the amount of volume each flute is able to collect and then throw out........
I tend to agree with this statement. I would also add that overall diameter/frontal area is also playing an important part.
I still think the .40 cal Lehigh XP would provide effective results on intended game animals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.