Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Super DISC shoot at the Farm >

Super DISC shoot at the Farm

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Super DISC shoot at the Farm

Old 07-21-2015, 08:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Super DISC shoot at the Farm

Grouse had sent me his 'Black Iced' Super DISC to do some work on. We had talked and decided to apply 'Bore Coat' to his barrel bore. Got the bored cleaned really well on Saturday evening - then Sunday afternoon I flushed the barrel with alcohol and dried it with compressed air and dry patches. I then, following directions of the product ran their special alcohol on patches to insure the barrel was free of oils. Then I applied the Bore Coat as directed. This is the 4th ML I have done with this one kit. and still have enough to do maybe two more. On Monday I took the rifle barrel out in the heat of the dray and gave it a sunbath all afternoon in the sun and the 90+ degree temps to make sure the 'Bore Coat' was dry and drying in some heat.

Today I gather the parts to make the rifle shootable. Grouse had sent the barreled action and Bolt Assembly with Warren scope block on the receiver. I found an old VX-II scope in the drawer and a set of $6.69 medium height rings in the weapons tool box. Mounted the scope on the rifle then bore sighted it by looking through the bore and then the scope getting it close at 13 yards at a piece of tape on the wall in the front room. Next a trigger. Sqezer had sent me a DISC trigger that he was having trouble with and wanted me to see if I could fix it. I flushed it with gun degreaser - blew it out with the compressor. I could not find a loose trigger screw - so I took apart a MK-85 and robbed the screw from it. I then lubricated the trigger and installed it on the rifle. Put the bolt in and pulled the trigger. Wow! a ton of creep! adjusted the creep and adjusted the trigger pull to 2 1/2* at Sqezer direction. Next a stock - I did have a spare DISC thumbhole stored away in the safe so I found that and put it on the rifle. It seemed to fit fairly well. I seldom use floating barrels and this stock was prepared for a flush fit with the barrel - not this barrel but it was a close fit. Last got a new breech plug and installed the necessary shims to provide a crush fit on a W209. With that I now had a complete rifle!

For being made from misc parts it looks darn good!

This evening - I took the rifle and headed to the farm - goal shoot 10 shots as fast as I could in the 85* weather and HEAT the barrel to cure the bore coat. Got everything set up for shooting and while doing that T Dinger and his son came over to see what was going on. I shot the first shot at the ground at the base of a Garbanzo plant - the barrel was now fouled and I loaded up and took 4 shots on the target, then I loaded again and asked T Dinger if he wanted to shoot it - so he got his 3 shots and then his son jumped in and get 3 more shots - both of these are decent shooters but have shot a ML very little.

Here is the finished target and the Bore Coat has been cured - rifle coming back your way Grouse..

Old 07-21-2015, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not to shabby for a thrown together from misc. parts!
Old 07-22-2015, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man SL, you're a heck of a guy. Send a barrel and some parts and comes back with a TH stock, Leupold scope, bore coated, trigger adjusted, new BP, and shooting tacks.

How do we sign up for that deal?
Old 07-22-2015, 05:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Sabotloader, I'm in!

I have a three foot length of old galvanized pipe and the hammer from an old CVA caplock. Can I send that?
Old 07-22-2015, 06:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

See it is like one of the car dealers up here that is always advertising 'One time good deal of the year' miss it and it is gone! Gone!

Last edited by sabotloader; 07-22-2015 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Sabotloader!!
Old 07-22-2015, 06:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
Hey Sabotloader, I'm in!

I have a three foot length of old galvanized pipe and the hammer from an old CVA caplock. Can I send that?
Couple of things... I do not have a bore mop for that sized bore and since you mentioned CVA not sure it is needed 'it is just a better gun'
Old 07-22-2015, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Thanks Sabotloader!!
This might be the understatement of the year!
Old 07-22-2015, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dinger acres is the place to be. Faaaaaarrrmmm livin is the life for me. Garbanzo fields spreading out so far and wide.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 07-22-2015 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
This might be the understatement of the year!
Hey, be nice!! We return favors trust me.😛

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.