Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
T/C Triumph Bone Collector Mis-fires >

T/C Triumph Bone Collector Mis-fires

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Triumph Bone Collector Mis-fires

Old 07-31-2015, 05:37 AM
Spike

super hunt54. I agree. Clean cold barrel is the approach I can get the most confidence in even if groups are a little larger. Waiting for bullets to show up sometime next week.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mzelktag
super hunt54. I agree. Clean cold barrel is the approach I can get the most confidence in even if groups are a little larger. Waiting for bullets to show up sometime next week.
It's what i've always done. I'm too anal about my guns to hunt it dirty. If I did i'd shoot it out every night.

I've never owned a gun that shot that different from a clean bore compared to fouled. A little sometimes, but not enough to matter for hunting.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

My TC PH isn't THAT different since I switched to BH either Pete. It shoots a tad lower on first shots (About 1/8 to 1/2 inch low). Second shot brings it to dead bull then 3rd drops right in there with second all the way up to the 6th which starts to open up in the group. That's more to do with heat than fouling though. Could also be my flash channel starting to get gunked up and not igniting the powder as well.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:14 AM
Spike

Still not satisfied with the groups, I got some Thor Bullets in 300 gr. .50 cal. He sent me the .501 and .502 size bullets. Back to range with these and the .501 slides right down the barrel, the .502 went down with light pressure and I had two misfires with BH209. Maybe the .502 wouldn't hold the powder compacted enough. Thor had me expand the base slightly for more pressure.(tighter fit in barrel) and I still had a misfire with BH209 so I am done with it. Switched to Pyrodex because it consistently fires and shot several groups at 2-1/4" at 50 yds which I feel the wife can hunt with.
Ordered and now received the .503 bullets and am going back to the range to do final sight in check and practice for her with the .503's.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:02 AM
Banned

time for a new rifle!

What primers are you using?
Old 08-29-2015, 04:59 PM
Spike

winchester 209 shotgun primers. Gun is a new TC Triumph Bone Collector. A friend loaned it to me new in box. It's the one I was planning on buying. Wouldn't get one now. Too late to change up for this hunt, leaving next week.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:44 AM
Spike

Finally got a combination that shoots well. Shots were inconsistent with the Thor 300 gr. .503's using Pyrodex. The .503 fit was very firm and I couldn't get a second bullet in without cleaning. I decided to try BH209 again thinking this tight fitting bullet will hold the powder tightly against the BP. It shot very well with this combination, three shot groups starting with a clean cold barrel 2-1/4 at 50 yds, 3-1/2 at 100 yds. with factory iron sights, only put the ghost ring on the rear sight. Time to go hunting.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can put some non corrosive fouling in the bore by shooting 2-3 primers without powder or projectile. 209 primer fouling is non-corrosive. This will help with first shot flyers.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I read all these posts and I'm happy you finally found a load that works for you. When you said you were getting 4 - 4 1/2" groups at 50 yards I was thinking that was terrible. I would never consider hunting with accuracy like that. Especially elk were the ranges are likely to be even longer. Good luck on your quest for the wapiti. That's some good eating there.