Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Lehigh 260g Xtreme >

Lehigh 260g Xtreme

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lehigh 260g Xtreme

Old 07-18-2015, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ah ok, yeah they are a bit on the yellow side. The coppers would have a bit more redish hue. Well, either way, we will get a first hand report on live game soon. Thomas is a dang good shot and he is going to a spot where a farm is plum eat up with hogs. I would suspect that these bullets will kinda sorta not do much damage to the in and out spots but flat blow some stuff up on the inside. I told him if possible to make a dead broadside shot low shoulder to see how it performs in the chest cavity on at least one and to TRY to do it on the biggest hog in the sounder.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Ah ok, yeah they are a bit on the yellow side. The coppers would have a bit more redish hue. Well, either way, we will get a first hand report on live game soon.
That really is the best part. We really need those true first hand experiences on game with the brass XP's. Several people use the solid copper XP's last season, with really good results.

Thomas is a dang good shot and he is going to a spot where a farm is plum eat up with hogs. I would suspect that these bullets will kinda sorta not do much damage to the in and out spots but flat blow some stuff up on the inside. I told him if possible to make a dead broadside shot low shoulder to see how it performs in the chest cavity on at least one and to TRY to do it on the biggest hog in the sounder.
Hope he is going to get some pictures of the results also.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ron, that is certainly impressive. I bet it would have had a good chance of being a pass thru had not it veered right. Certainly looks like it created some serious shock there, obviously the intention of that design.

I'll be interested in see some field reviews too!
Old 07-19-2015, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Second Capture Attempt

This morning this bullet was shot through the carpet, plywood, water jugs one more time. The bullet ended up in the sixth jug.

Here is the video.

And here is the captured bullet standing with a brand new bullet.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
This morning this bullet was shot through the carpet, plywood, water jugs one more time. The bullet ended up in the sixth jug.

Here is the video.

And here is the captured bullet standing with a brand new bullet.

Thanks Ron that is exactly what I would have expected from that bullet. Did it do the same type of damage on its way through the other water jugs?
Old 07-19-2015, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wish to express appreciation for all the time, effort and money that Ron has put into expanding our knowledge. Thank you RON
Old 07-19-2015, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just for giggles, try reloading that bullet Ron! HA! Reusable bullets! Now that would be a fun one!
Old 07-19-2015, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank's Lee.

You know Mike, i find this bullet to be quite the anomaly. It is a hard bullet, that causes damage like a soft bullet. Further, it does do something the soft bullets don't do. Soft bullets seem to shred the first two jugs, then mostly just poke holes in the rest. These XP do damage to all the jugs they go through, and don't just leave behind jugs with holes poked in them.

Here, our regulations state we must use soft point bullets for hunting. These bullets don't meet the letter of the law, but they certainly seem to meet the spirit/intent of the law.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Thank's Lee.

You know Mike, i find this bullet to be quite the anomaly. It is a hard bullet, that causes damage like a soft bullet. Further, it does do something the soft bullets don't do. Soft bullets seem to shred the first two jugs, then mostly just poke holes in the rest. These XP do damage to all the jugs they go through, and don't just leave behind jugs with holes poked in them.

Here, our regulations state we must use soft point bullets for hunting. These bullets don't meet the letter of the law, but they certainly seem to meet the spirit/intent of the law.
That is the beauty of those bullets and one of the reasons that the military is so interested in them as long as the bullet has 750 fps (and you know Lehigh is always to conservative with their numbers) it can cause organ destruction and not even touch the organ. The real advantage is the 'permanent' wound channel it creates - it creates a larger wound channel than most expanding bullets. The end result is distance the bullet is able to penetrate deeper while continuing organ damage than most. Even a normal Lehigh/Bloodline penetrates better than most but at some point just becomes a hole puncher due to the lack of velocity.

I know some states have rules that will not allow the bullet to be used for big game hunting - I did spend time last night going through our 2015 hunting booklet and can not find anything that says I can not - so I really think I will give it a shot.

Several people hunted with this type bullet last year, but they were using the copper pistols XP's. I think GregK got the whole thing started. I was never really sold on this bullet even as GregK explained the workings. Then I got some of the brass XP's and did some shooting and testing with them. Still not totally sold until viewing your tests - which to me pretty much did the Missouri thing for me - seeing is believing.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

This frame is about 2/3 second after impact showing what i believe is the second jug on it's way down, and still 6 feet high and losing a pile of water yet. Kinda cool. Seems to indicate quite a hydraulic force set up by the bullet passing through.

Last edited by ronlaughlin; 07-19-2015 at 05:41 PM. Reason: changed the image into a link to the video

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.