Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Nosler Partition

Old 07-13-2015, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Nosler Partition

The bullet is the 300g Nosler Partition.

The plywood sandwich was added to the front of the jugs, and knowing from past experience that the Nosler is a deep penetrating bullet, an extra jug was added to the back. The load was 80g Blackhorn, short black Harvester sabot, W209 primer. Range was 25 yard.

The first jug, and the fourth jug remained on the horse after all was done. The first and second jugs were shredded by the Nosler; it seems strange the first jug was able to remain seated. The bullet went through the five water jugs, and into the Laundry jug, where it stayed.

The photo shows the actual 'partition' between the front, and back of the bullet, that John designed, and tested back in the Nineteen hundreds. John started manufacture, and selling his design in 1948, did he not?
Old 07-13-2015, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ron,
Just curious why your changing how you test the bullets? You started at 50grns of BH209 and now your 80 with different bullets.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am assuming he changed it to get a more realistic speed of impact for the average hunter. Not a lot of us try taking game at 250-300 yards with a MLer so at 80 grains he is getting a more reasonable speed of impact that your average Joe Hunter will be hitting game at. Just my guess.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:15 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Not a lot of us try taking game at 250-300 yards with a MLer .
Well then its time to get on the stick and change that

Old 07-13-2015, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am assuming he changed it to get a more realistic speed of impact for the average hunter. Not a lot of us try taking game at 250-300 yards with a MLer so at 80 grains he is getting a more reasonable speed of impact that your average Joe Hunter will be hitting game at. Just my guess.
It was nice seeing the different bullets at the same velocity. 30grns of BH209 is huge. Maybe he will do the others the same way.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Grouse45
It was nice seeing the different bullets at the same velocity. 30grns of BH209 is huge. Maybe he will do the others the same way.
especially with a heavier 300 grain bullet
Old 07-13-2015, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Well then its time to get on the stick and change that
Not me!! Granted I shoot pretty well for an old man but I refuse to shoot long range at a living breathing animal where ANY small miscalculation on my part could result in a gut shot or blown off leg. I just wont take that chance. 150-200 is my limit with a MLer and it is a RARE thing that I get a shot further than 75 yards. Granted 150 has happened a few times but not many. I ML hunt pretty much the same way I Archery hunt so I set up where I know I will get a shot within 100 yards maximum most times. I don't hunt speed goats (never really liked the meat on them for some reason) so long range for me really isn't needed. My Moose hunting is rarely more than 50 yards either. Elk is about the only thing I hunt where I would typically have a 200+ yard shot without a really good stalking option because of wide open terrain.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

My thinking exactly.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

You may be right but it invalidates all his other tests as a comparison.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
My thinking exactly.
Ron are you then going to repeat all the other tests with 80 grains?

With BH would not need to keep the bullet weights near the same due to the progressive burning properties of BH.

That is if you are working on building a comparative base.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.