Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Federal Copper Bullet and Five Jugs >

Federal Copper Bullet and Five Jugs

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Federal Copper Bullet and Five Jugs

Old 07-24-2015, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Too brittle maybe? Could be why it doesn't expand at low fps too.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Several of the bullets did not expand at low speeds. The bullets that failed low speed expansion included the Barnes, the XTP, the Deep Curl, the Partition, and the Federal. The only bullet that did what it was designed to do, when the speed was low, is the Lehigh Controlled Fracturing Bullet.

Now on to the higher speed test

The two on the right penetrated deep. The two on the left, not so deeply...

That Federal sure has a short solid base. Perhaps it is too short? Is it the shortness of the Federal base that makes it fail to penetrate deep on Mooses?
Old 07-24-2015, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Barnes claims their bullet will expand down to 1200fps.

Were you below that?
Old 07-24-2015, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, i was a way below that; was sitting still, until i got up and went to look for the bullet, and stop the camera.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

You were simulating a 200yd shot. Maybe long range hunters shouldn't set max range to their accuracy, but how far will the bullet still work.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

If memory serves, the speed of the 270g Federal at the jugs was clocked at about 1205 fps. This would lead one to believe the speed of the 250g Barnes would be a bit faster than 1200 fps, but not much.

A reason the Barnes didn't expand is because the tip was shoved back, and the hollow was plugged with carpet, carpet backing, fabric, and plywood. The same thing happened to both tipped bullets. The hollow point bullets, except for the Lehigh had the end plugged much the same way.

The controlled fracturing Lehigh, just worked as designed.

The bullets without tips or hollow points just failed to expand, because they were going too slow, i guess.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Yes, i was a way below that; was sitting still, until i got up and went to look for the bullet, and stop the camera.
Me tinks dat one blew by old Pete!
Old 07-24-2015, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm thinking this. I like 2 holes in an animal. Plain and simple. That way if it doesn't drop right there, it's not going far for one, and it will leave a better trail for 2. Now, here's what I'm thinking, why not have the best of both worlds??!! A bullet that will dump a ton of energy INSIDE and create a massive wound channel and STILL penetrate well enough to pass through! Wait a minute, that already exists now doesn't it? The Lehigh CF! The improved Bloodline for today from what I have been gathering! Make check payable to _______________ for this advertisement please
Old 07-24-2015, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 300g Nosler Partition

That BULLET you described has existed since back in the nineteen hundreds.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
That BULLET you described has existed since back in the nineteen hundreds.
It certainly did - but it really doesn't work the way that the bloodlines does! The Bloodline and the newer CF's have a higher Terminal Ballistics and have no lead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.