Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
215 lehigh and a slower twist. >

215 lehigh and a slower twist.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

215 lehigh and a slower twist.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:56 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Default 215 lehigh and a slower twist.

Sometimes you just have to try things out for yourself. After all seeing is believing
I decided to give the 215 Lehigh's a try out of a 1:30 gun just to see if SL's gun was an anomaly or if the bullet would actually shoot from a slower twist. I haven't reached any conclusions yet as I am mulling this over and I also want to move further back when the weather co- operates. But here is what happened this morning. Use it as food for thought

100 yards. Knight Disc 1:30 twist ,Blackhorn powder and federal primer in red plastic jacket.

shot one was cold clean barrel and 80 gr
shot 2 90 gr
shot 3 100 gr
The bullet appearded to me to have some yaw at lower powder charge

then 110 gr first shot

110 gr first 2 shots

110 gr 3 shot group

I am not sure what to think yet.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

SShooter

I know the wholes look suspicious but how do you that good of a group if the bullet is yawing. It seems impossible for them all to yaw at the same angle each time. Wait I just thought of something. Got to go get a picture...
Old 07-08-2015, 10:36 AM
Spike

I have never tried the 215 Lehigh only the 180's and 200's. You should try those bullets with the light blue crush rib for the forty caliber bullet, 90 grains of Blackhorn.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

SShooter

Took your ideal from a text message and went out to the truck to get some pictures...

I can now say my shots were not tumbling or yawing even though they might have appeared that way on paper...

Check this hole in the target board. The 40 holes were all nice and neat.

Here is the board and my experiment... I really had to push the bullets to force them into the wholes.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:45 AM
1874sharpsshooter

ok rain or no rain. I had to see what would happen at 200 yards.
I also decided that most people don't shoot real hot loads so I decided to use 100 gr of powder. I think that is a more common load, especially with pellet shooters ,etc.
I wasn't looking for accuracy, I just wanted to see what the bullet hole looked like at 200 yards. I took 2 quick shots with 100 gr Blackhorn then drove down to check the target. I was surprised to say the least. I'm actually at a loss to know what to think yet but I plan on shooting it a lot more and see what happens.

but the two shots were barely over an inch apart, right around 1 1/4 inches
to me that is a fantastic 200 yard group. I guess the big question is can I do it again, is it going to be consistant ???

Old 07-08-2015, 10:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by DiscMan
I have never tried the 215 Lehigh only the 180's and 200's. You should try those bullets with the light blue crush rib for the forty caliber bullet, 90 grains of Blackhorn.
Yes I have shot those both with the 200 being one of my favorites. The only difference is I use the MMP Tan it seems to work best for me.

These new bullets are not Bloodlines they are a new design from Lehigh and called a CF bullet. Controlled Fracture bullet working on the same principle as the Bloodline.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

SShooter

Shoot! I thought you said 2" on the phone and I was excited about that... I gotta go do that - Garbanzo beans or not!

I really hate to get to excited about this new bullet but Darn! it is hard when you think of all the implications that could result from the shooting we have done with this bullet from a slow twist 45.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

You boys are working hard at figuring this one out. Those bullets plugged into the backer board certainly makes you wonder .... and certainly the tight group at 200yds have to mean something. I don't know, you guys know more about this than I do that is for sure. Interesting to say the least.

All we need now is a crop damage permit to test with...

I'm staying tuned!
Old 07-08-2015, 12:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
You boys are working hard at figuring this one out. Those bullets plugged into the backer board certainly makes you wonder .... and certainly the tight group at 200yds have to mean something. I don't know, you guys know more about this than I do that is for sure. Interesting to say the least.

All we need now is a crop damage permit to test with...

I'm staying tuned!
That is coming hopefully tomorrow morning - after SShooter 200 yard thing... Garbanzo Beans - be damned - I walking out into the field tomorrow morning to get a few shots in.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Garbanzo Beans - be damned

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.