Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

250g XTP--Jugs

Old 07-06-2015, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 250g XTP--Jugs

This afternoon the 250g XTP was used to smuck them jugs. The powder charge was 50g Blackhorn, sabot was black crush rib, primer was W209, and the range was 26 yard. One can view the VIDEO.

After it was all said and done, the bullet was no where to be found. The first three jugs were holed, but the last two were undamaged, and full of water. After looking for the bullet, and failing to find it, the jugs were arranged the way they were before the shot, and the entrance, and exit holes studied. The third jug had an exit hole on the back left. Examining the fourth jug revealed a dent in on the front left. So the bullet was looked for out front to the left, and there it was!!

Old 07-06-2015, 02:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Wow that is some mushroom of that bullet. And it looks like it kept its shape and weight, just flattened out. If it made it through that many bottles there is some penetration ability with it. A very interesting test.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice work Ron. That shows the difference between Mag and regular.

Nice job finding the bullet! That's some pretty tall grass, luck was on your side there
Old 07-06-2015, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

A few people on this forum might remember in crossville Tennessee we did a little test with XTP'S and the savage. The 300grn bullet I shot at 25 yards didn't exit the hog and the weight retention was 120grns. Lost over 70% of it weight. Another was shot with a 300grn and another was the 250grn XTP. All non mags I remember that. I think that's the last time I used a pistol bullet in a muzzleloader actually. The 250grn bullet does ok on Deer but they usually blow up pretty bad when hitting bone. Not really a big deal and yes it works.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

This bullet weighs 245.9 grain using the recalibrated scale.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Nice work Ron. That shows the difference between Mag and regular.

Nice job finding the bullet! That's some pretty tall grass, luck was on your side there
Yes, i agree with everything you wrote.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a good comparison test. It shows what my experiences are as well.

This is the bullet I shoot out of my "Marty McFly" gun and I have full confidence it will take any whitetail I encounter.