Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Some shooting over the sticks with the Hot Rod Hawken >

Some shooting over the sticks with the Hot Rod Hawken

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Some shooting over the sticks with the Hot Rod Hawken

Old 07-03-2015, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Some shooting over the sticks with the Hot Rod Hawken

Today I celebrated the 125th birthday of Idaho being a state.
I took my Hot Rod Hawken to bang some steel. The gong I used today was my smaller one it is 8"x12". I started out at 89 yards with an off hand shot that rang the steel. Then I shot at 100, 125, 141,160, 213 and then to finish at 50 in that order.
I was shooting early and the light was dim. I missed the 213 yard shot on a mistake. I took a range finder reading and it said 213 several times. So I set the sight as close as I could and took the shot. I shot Just over the top. I think the range finder was hitting the hill behind the target instead of the target. That bummed me out. Here is the video I took of some of it. The video also has my cross sticks on it, and a clip of the bullet hitting the steel at 50 yards.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:17 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by idahoron
Today I celebrated the 125th birthday of Idaho being a state.
I took my Hot Rod Hawken to bang some steel. The gong I used today was my smaller one it is 8"x12". I started out at 89 yards with an off hand shot that rang the steel. Then I shot at 100, 125, 141,160, 213 and then to finish at 50 in that order.
I was shooting early and the light was dim. I missed the 213 yard shot on a mistake. I took a range finder reading and it said 213 several times. So I set the sight as close as I could and took the shot. I shot Just over the top. I think the range finder was hitting the hill behind the target instead of the target. That bummed me out. Here is the video I took of some of it. The video also has my cross sticks on it, and a clip of the bullet hitting the steel at 50 yards.

Sounds like you are ready . I couldn't get the video to play . I keep getting an error message . Nice shooting though

Old 07-03-2015, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ron, That was fun--you sounded proud, and you should be!
Old 07-03-2015, 09:46 PM
Fork Horn

Cool, I'm impressed with the extra effort you put in practicing for hunting. Very few people practice but less do it in earnest.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:39 AM
Dominant Buck

that is some great shooting there. I see you shoot off sticks the way I do. I set them out front and lean them back too. It seems to steady them better for me. Very impressive shooting I must say.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice Ron!
Old 07-04-2015, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great video and great shooting! Very nicely done Ron... looks like the antelope will be in trouble when that "Hot Rod Hawken" speaks!

BPS
Old 07-05-2015, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. I sure hope that I get the chance at a good one. Ron