Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Harvester Sabertooth >

Harvester Sabertooth

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Harvester Sabertooth

Old 06-30-2015, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Harvester Sabertooth

Anyone try those out yet? I like the idea of a belted bullet. Not so sure I like the looks of the bullet itself though. Might be worth a try out of my old .50 Hawken though. She aint no long range rifle. And they look like a bullet that might be good for 100 yards and in. Going to let the youngest daughter loose with the Hawken this year to go after a Doe. I figure this 250 grain https://www.harvestermuzzleloading.c...mart&Itemid=18 with maybe 75 grains Trip 7 loose will be a light enough load that wont knock the snot bubbles out of her but still have enough gusto to drop a big old Doe. It's either those or some 240 PT Golds I have laying around. These just kind of captured my interest.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

They're certainly a better option than Powerbelts, but there are far better bullets out there. I've set my nephews up with 200g XTPs. They have a very mild recoil and have performed well on deer sized game.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:04 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Anyone try those out yet? I like the idea of a belted bullet. Not so sure I like the looks of the bullet itself though. Might be worth a try out of my old .50 Hawken though. She aint no long range rifle. And they look like a bullet that might be good for 100 yards and in. Going to let the youngest daughter loose with the Hawken this year to go after a Doe. I figure this 250 grain https://www.harvestermuzzleloading.c...mart&Itemid=18 with maybe 75 grains Trip 7 loose will be a light enough load that wont knock the snot bubbles out of her but still have enough gusto to drop a big old Doe. It's either those or some 240 PT Golds I have laying around. These just kind of captured my interest.
I have some , I never could get them to shoot real accurate. You might have different results.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TNHagies
They're certainly a better option than Powerbelts, but there are far better bullets out there. I've set my nephews up with 200g XTPs. They have a very mild recoil and have performed well on deer sized game.
Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
I have some , I never could get them to shoot real accurate. You might have different results.
LMAO TNHagies, throwing rocks is a better option than Powerjunks. I've had a couple of XTP's and TC Shockwaves (Basically the same thing) blow up on shoulders of Hogs and deer. But to be fair, I have my TC Pro Hunter barrel cooking most all my loads pretty fast. She likes hotter loads. The Hawken likes them much slower which is why I'm letting her use it rather than the Pro Hunter Barrel. 70 to 90 grains loose (and 90 is making her a little pissy) Trip 7 is as hard as she likes to push. I have a really good match up for MYSELF with the Hawken using 80 grains loose and a 300 grain connie but that load would bring on the snot bubbles in my littlest one. She's pretty sporty with a 7mm08 but that's about all the recoil she will tolerate. My little "princess" is like Robin hood with a bow but her and recoil never learned to be friends.

SS, did you try slower, lighter loads? The reason I like the idea behind them is for easier reloading. In case she needs a quick followup. Which I doubt she will. Pretty sporty shot or I wouldn't let her out after game. But as we all know, anything can happen. It's not her first hunt or even first take. But it is going to be the first time she has hunted with a smoke pole.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:10 PM
1874sharpsshooter

I never tried less than 90 gr. as that is usually my starting point . 120 to 130 is what i shoot mostly . Slow them down they may do good . I think i would try the lehigh CFbullet . It Should perform well all the way down to 60 gr

Old 06-30-2015, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have taken a couple of deer with them years ago ,they held together much better than PB and shot just fine in my Thunderbolt and System one. How ever I would recommend the FPB 350 grain to you as a 3x better bullet .
Old 06-30-2015, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
I never tried less than 90 gr. as that is usually my starting point . 120 to 130 is what i shoot mostly . Slow them down they may do good . I think i would try the lehigh CFbullet . It Should perform well all the way down to 60 gr
Originally Posted by lemoyne
I have taken a couple of deer with them years ago ,they held together much better than PB and shot just fine in my Thunderbolt and System one. How ever I would recommend the FPB 350 grain to you as a 3x better bullet .
SS, My starting point on the PH is 100gr (like I said she likes them hot) Have you or anyone else done any penetration testing on those new CF bullets? Our Doe around here, the ones we take anyway, are some pretty beefy broads. Maybe I should have her go for pure lung shots rather than High shoulder. The same as she does for archery. That would be one thing less for her to think about anyway. She naturally loves that shot and practices it with her bow weekly.

Lemoyne, couple of problems with using the FBP 350 grain. One is I'm trying NOT to knock my child into last week and 2 is with a 350 grain bullet in a 1/28 twist I need to seriously step up the speed to stabilize that large of a bullet. 90gr of powder would probably be the minimum to get that bullet to not flip. 90gr powder+ 350 grain bullet= pissed off daughter with sore shoulder and sore butt from being planted on ass. That sir would = pissed of Mother and Father with equally sore ass My women are little (Except the oldest daughter who is an Amazon) but they are mean!
Old 07-01-2015, 04:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I take your point. The reason I did not use them long was because they did not exit. That was with 100 grains.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

super_hunt...
I'd say there is very little chance that a Lehigh doesn't exit. Nobody has shot any game (to my knowledge) with the CF's as they are new, but the track record of the bloodlines is they power through all the time, and the CF is basically a new/improved bloodline. That is what they are designed for, the petals peel off and spiral in various directions, the core drives all the way through and out. I know Sabotloader has had perfect (and impressive) performance with them on Elk.

I bet she would do just fine with a 240/250 XTP and 70gr powder. Easy on her, should perform perfectly on the deer. I would also have her shoot for the lung shot. Sounds like she's a good shot... you know they'll be dead for sure with that shot.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hawken?? Light load?? Deer??

Shoot a PRB.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.