Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Lyman 45 Caliber Semi-wadcutter >

Lyman 45 Caliber Semi-wadcutter

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lyman 45 Caliber Semi-wadcutter

Old 06-23-2015, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Lyman 45 Caliber Semi-wadcutter

I was digging through my bullet casting supplies, thinking about casting some 54 caliber LEE REAL bullets, when I spied a box marked Lyman mold handles, which I thought were long gone. Inspired by my find, I dug deeper and found a two cavity mold marked, 'LYMAN 452424', a 255 grain Keith style semi-wad cutter.

Then the wheels started turning. What if I cast some of these? With a 45/54 sabot, might these make a good paper punching, perhaps deer hunting, ball? Moreover, stretch my dwindling lead supply.

What say you?
Old 06-23-2015, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Palehorse
I was digging through my bullet casting supplies, thinking about casting some 54 caliber LEE REAL bullets, when I spied a box marked Lyman mold handles, which I thought were long gone. Inspired by my find, I dug deeper and found a two cavity mold marked, 'LYMAN 452424', a 255 grain Keith style semi-wad cutter.

Then the wheels started turning. What if I cast some of these? With a 45/54 sabot, might these make a good paper punching, perhaps deer hunting, ball? Moreover, stretch my dwindling lead supply.

What say you?
Palehorse...

If you get a chance... post a pic of some of the cast bullets. By what you've described, they're probably the same Lee bullet an old timer I knew years ago when I was getting into muzzleloading used for target shooting and called "trash cans" because they kinda resembled miniature garbage cans. He said they were very accurate, but he was not a deer hunter so I have no idea how they would be for hunting as I have never used them (or shot them for that matter) myself.

BPS
Old 06-24-2015, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry Palehorse,

Don't bother posting a picture. I looked it up and it doesn't look like the bullet I'm thinking of. The one I remember didn't have a tapered nose, it was almost flat on top with the exception of having a small raised dimple in the center. I believe the lube grooves were a lot finer and close together and ran from top to bottom, so it looked like a little can.

BPS
Old 06-24-2015, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

BPS,

Thanks for the response. I am afraid the bullet might be a little too long to be stabilized by the 1:48 twist. I guess I will cast a 20 or so and see what happens. I can always melt them.