Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Lehigh Defense new contolled fracturing bullet design >

Lehigh Defense new contolled fracturing bullet design

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lehigh Defense new contolled fracturing bullet design

Old 06-15-2015, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lehigh Defense new contolled fracturing bullet design

As most of you already know, the Knight Bloodlines by Lehigh Defense are my favorite Muzzleloader bullet by far. And the Bloodlines are what we call a controlled fracturing bullet.

The boys at Lehigh Defense are coming out with a new improved bullet called the CF Muzzleloader bullet. The CF is short for controlled fracturing. And one of the improvements is the petals shear at lower velocities. Making it good for women or children that want to shoot lite loads. Another key point is the petals are bigger on the new design. They will obviously travel further creating more shock/trauma and damage on game. And also the new bullet is a 4 petal design instead of 6 like the Bloodlines. As most already know, Lehigh is always looking to improve on all types of bullets and loaded ammunition. http://www.lehighdefense.com/

When the time came to start making some of these bullets I asked Dave if he could start with a bullet for me to take Elk hunting this year in Colorado Rifle season. So him being a nice guy he did. That ended up being a .452 245grn CF bullet. I believe I got them in the mail last Wednesday so Saturday morning this was gonna be the first thing I did was test them for accuracy.

As you can see below. The left target was my first target shooting at with My Knight Ultralite. The shot in the bull was my fouling shot. I liked that for the first shot with these bullets. The next 5 shots above made a nice group of about 1". Ill take that all day long with my Ultralite cause its so light sometimes hard to hold still on the bench. The target on the right is a three shot group over the chrono at 100 yards getting velocities to calculate the BC. It looks like 1/2 to 3/4". Here again I love those kind of groups with the Ultralite. Im not gonna touch that load before going to Colorado. Its ready right now.

So as you can see the accuracy is very good with the new design. But accuracy is only the beginning of the testing. Got some big shoes to fill to keep up with a bloodline.

This week the .40cal 230grn and the 185grn should be made and hopefully here for accuracy testing by the weekend. For some reason Knight never chose to sell the 230grn Bloodline that was prototyped and tested. I believe it was the best Muzzleloader bullet I ever used. So it will be nice Lehigh offering the new design.

Last edited by Grouse45; 06-15-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tom, what is the heaviest bullet a 1-28 twist can be expected to shoot good?
Old 06-15-2015, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
I'm assuming your talking 45caliber??? The 200grn Bloodline is a long bullet but I bet it works in a 1/28 twist 45.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice Grouse!! Love it!

Good to hear about the 230's also...
Old 06-15-2015, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by lemoyne
IMO its not the weight so much as the length of the bullet and the amount of bearing surface. Ive seen a 40-240gr copper bullet that absolutely will not shoot in a sabot at all even in 1-18 to 1-22 twists.

Most of the twist calculators have a variable you can adjust for bullet material construction to help get you in the ball park.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:05 AM
1874sharpsshooter

That looks pretty darn good . I like the idea of 4 petals instead of 6 . I think that will be a good performing bullet .
are the 45 cf bullets going to be for sale from Lehigh any time soon you think ?

Old 06-15-2015, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

What powder, and how much were you using?
Old 06-15-2015, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by txhunter58
What powder, and how much were you using?
50cal Knight Ultralite

BH209, 120grns by volume.

Shot
1-Muzzle-2051 100yard MV-1572
2-Muzzle-2054 100yard MV-1574
3-Muzzle-2089 100yard MV-1583
Old 06-15-2015, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
That looks pretty darn good . I like the idea of 4 petals instead of 6 . I think that will be a good performing bullet .
are the 45 cf bullets going to be for sale from Lehigh any time soon you think ?
Not sure when to be honest!!
Old 06-15-2015, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Grouse... what specifically is different with the CF bullets over the Bloodlines? Just curious. Seems like the Bloodlines already work pretty much exactly like they want them to, and very well to boot. Not sure what improvements could be/were made.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.