Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

95g Blackhorn

Old 05-29-2015, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 95g Blackhorn

Tried a new load in the Dream Season, and it worked good. 95g Blackhorn, 300g XTP, crush rib sabot, W209 primer. Scope is 1.5-5 power, set on 5X. Started at 200 yard using a front and a rear bag. The first shot was from a cold clean barrel. These three shots are in the middle target. Then the bipod was installed, and four shots taken at the lower target. The first shot was a flier a way left, and i really don't know why.

Then everything was loaded up and a move of about 2 mile was made so for to set up at 100 yard. The elevation dial was turned down 6 moa, and three shots fired at the top target.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:34 PM
Dominant Buck

wow that is good shooting!
Old 05-29-2015, 06:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good shooting there.

Ron, what are your thoughts on the 200 yard group being only a tad bit larger than the 100 yard group? You would think it would be about twice as large.

How's the recoil on the X7 with that load?
Old 05-29-2015, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Good shooting there.

Ron, what are your thoughts on the 200 yard group being only a tad bit larger than the 100 yard group? You would think it would be about twice as large.

He was probably concentrating harder on his form, trigger control, and breathing on the 200.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Good shooting there.

The rifle is actually a Dream Season, not an X7. The stock is from the ruined X7. What was done, was the barrel channel of the stock, was enlarged to fit the Dream Season barrel.

The recoil is significant, and the scope 'kisses' me nearly every shot. My eye is a way back, and a full view is not seen in the scope, so to avoid being hurt. This rifle has never hurt me anywhere. That recoil pad on the X7 stock is wonderful. Seems like i am too relaxed when shooting, but i don't know how to hold the rifle tighter so it doesn't jump so much.

The 100 yard group was shot using the bipod. It is actually less than half the size of the 3 best shot 200 yard group off the bipod. The 100 yard group is very nearly exactly half of the 200 yard group off the bags--just so barely larger than half. If this happens the next 5 times, i guess i will have to ponder, however, right now, it seems paregoric.