Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
BH209 - maiden voyage >

BH209 - maiden voyage

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BH209 - maiden voyage

Old 05-28-2015, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default BH209 - maiden voyage

Ok, so this past weekend I finally got around to trying the BH209 in my new to me .45 Disc Elite, stainless w/thumbhole stock. I mounted a Sightron SI 3-9x40 on it that I had bought a couple years ago on closeout, when they were upgrading to a new version of that model. Decent scope, has a simple BDC type reticle They call the Holdover Hunter. Its basically a duplex crosshair, with 2 small stadia lines below. Clean and simple, no dots, circles, or clutter. I personally like that. Figured it might be a good fit for this gun, and give me the option to set up for longer yardages easily. The scope has nice eye relief, and is pretty crisp and clear for a lower end scope. I think they retail for around $130, I paid around $70 IIRC.

I've read and learned quite a bit over time on the forums about BH, and felt that in this particular rifle it would be a good fit. So I reluctantly dropped over $45 for a jug last week. I had some W209 primers and some 200gr SST/Shockwaves so that's what I planned to use.

I headed to our cabin for the long weekend, with the intention of sighting the rifle in, and hopefully shooting groups at 100, 150, and 200 to see what it did. Well my plan immediately went awry when I got to the cabin and realized I forgot my shooting bag

Fast forward to Sunday... I set up my bench and made a makeshift rest to shoot from. I shot a few primers off to foul the barrel, and blow out the breechplug tape, then I shot a couple sighters at 25yds. Got it close then moved back to 50yds. I shot 1 sighter at 50, made an adjustment up and shot a 3 shot group that was right at 1", but some left. Not bad, considering the rest. I was not really loading and shooting fast, just avg pace maybe 3-5 mins between shots. Enough time to reload, and check the target, etc.

Here is that target

So where I was shooting, I could only get to 80yds so I moved my bench back to there. I shot my first shot and it was left and high, similar to the previous target. I moved it down, but forgot to move it right. Next shot was about the right height. Then I moved it right and shot again...but knew I pulled it. Well it went way low, so I disregarded that. I shot again and it was good, so I shot 2 more and ended up with a decent 3 shot group. I called it a day because I was having alot of trouble with the crappy rest I was using.

Overall my opinion is I like it. Using 100gr, it shot nice...maybe I can fine tune and get it better. FLawless ignition, the kick certainly wasn't bad, and I do like the lesser amount of smoke, though I miss the smell of rotten eggs I really liked no swabbing between shots! The other good thing.... my primers were almost spotless. The gun has the Lehigh conversion in it, I guess the W209s are a perfect match for my setup. I actually felt like they would do very well after everything I've read here.

Next stop.... 100, 150, and 200! I'm also planning to try some different amounts of powder and even probably some Barnes 195's that will likely be my hunting load.

So I guess THANKS are in order to all you guys for teaching me - my maiden voyage was successful, to me anyhow. Although if I would quit reading these forums I'd have alot more $$$.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good report WV. They say you always remember your first time.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the BH209 Club. Not sure I'm remaining a rookie member, but my dues are paid-up for the rest of 2015.

I continue to dry-patch Blackhorn after every 2nd shot, despite no real need for it. Mainly because I want bore familiarity with my hunting rituals and have nowhere to fire a couple of bore seasoning shots, prior to the hunt.

So the 1st and 2nd shots of every range visit are real important to me, for that 2nd shot may be needed to finish the harvest of a wounded deer. I use Precision 180s and SST 200s @100 yards with 90gr BH209. I cannot test @150 yards until October, over in the Mio Michigan woods. Our local ranges surrounding the Detroit Metro area are limited to 100 yards.

I have backup bullet options. Precision Extreme Elite 260s 50/40 and your 195 Barnes Expanders. In emergency load option, I'll try 45-cal 180 and 230 Gold Dots, along with T/C 240 Cheapshots. I prefer to hang around 200 grains for bullets and not go beyond 90 grains of BH209.

That's due to strict orders from my right shoulder.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 05-28-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Good report WV. They say you always remember your first time.
Oh I do. My performance wasn't quite as good as the disc elite's
Old 05-28-2015, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
Welcome to the BH209 Club. Not sure I'm remaining a rookie member, but my dues are paid-up for the rest of 2015.

I continue to dry-patch Blackhorn after every 2nd shot, despite no real need for it. Mainly because I want bore familiarity with my hunting rituals and have nowhere to fire a couple of bore seasoning shots, prior to the hunt.

So the 1st and 2nd shots of every range visit are real important to me, for that 2nd shot may be needed to finish the harvest of a wounded deer. I use Precision 180s and SST 200s @100 yards with 90gr BH209. I cannot test @150 yards until October, over in the Mio Michigan woods. Our local ranges surrounding the Detroit Metro area are limited to 100 yards.

I have backup bullet options. Precision Extreme Elite 260s 50/40 and your 195 Barnes Expanders. In emergency load option, I'll try 45-cal 180 and 230 Gold Dots, along with T/C 240 Cheapshots. I prefer to hang around 200 grains for bullets and not go beyond 90 grains of BH209.

That's due to strict orders from my right shoulder.
I was impressed by how easy it was to load, shot after shot - with no swabbing. Not easy loose, just easy consistent every time. No real change from the first couple shots to that last one.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 45 Disc Elite is the best and most accurate ML you can shoot right out of the box. The Lehigh conversion makes it even better. Congratulations on your new gun and good shooting.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=Triple Se7en;4199601]....... I cannot test @150 yards until October, over in the Mio Michigan woods. Our local ranges surrounding the Detroit Metro area are limited to 100 yards.
QUOTE]

Next time you plan on an extended trip to Mio, Alpena has a 600yd range.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:54 PM
Dominant Buck

nice shooting. Glad to see you like the powder.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=BarnesAddict;4199637]
Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
....... I cannot test @150 yards until October, over in the Mio Michigan woods. Our local ranges surrounding the Detroit Metro area are limited to 100 yards.
QUOTE]

Next time you plan on an extended trip to Mio, Alpena has a 600yd range.
Thanks! I'll remember that.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=Triple Se7en;4199697]
Originally Posted by BarnesAddict

Thanks! I'll remember that.
Unfortunately MI doesn't have many long range facilities. I'm a member of the APC and shoot there often. If you decide to go, get hold of me and I'll get you in there and shoot with you. The range road is locked and it requires a member with the combination to get you in there. Their backstops are in 100yd intervals, with mounds for meters starting at 200m. If you were to shoot at say 150yds, you would need to bring something to hang your target from. You can also drive to your targets, which makes it darn nice for us old guys. If its on a weekend, we'll have to sign you in and if I remember correctly, it'll cost you $10 and you can shoot all day. They have benches, but you'll need your own rest. Depending on what I'm doing, I normally bring both the sled and just a front rest with my portable.
You may never have a hunting shot over 50 or even 100yds but, try shooting at 200. Its fun and you learn a lot. You don't need heavy charges to shoot paper at long range.
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...0827--,00.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.