Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Speaking of Scopes >

Speaking of Scopes

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Speaking of Scopes

Old 05-26-2015, 11:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Speaking of Scopes

After WV Hunter's comment in another thread about how the Cabala's Powderhorn scope just "didn't feel right" to him, which I found to be the case also, I got to thinking about what would be my ideal muzzle loader scope.

Here's what I would want.

- Fixed power - 5X with a 100 yard parallax setting.
- Finger adjustable windage and elevation dials with 1/4" MOA adjustments.
- Plex crosshairs with BDC stadia lines (not those damn circles that Nikon uses).
- Zero re-set turrets.
- Fast focus eyepiece.
- Reasonably inexpensive.

Then I went searching the manufacturers to see if such a critter exists. The closest thing I could find to my ideal was the Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32 Matte Plex BDC Rifle Scope. It only fails on two points, being a variable and having BDC dots instead of stadia lines.

Found the best price at Optics Planet. They're quite a bit more than my much loved $50 Simmons ProDiamonds, but I ordered one anyway. http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-r...dbk-m-08p.html

I have a Vortex Diamondback 4x12 on my .22 Hornet and it's a great scope. So I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with the 1.75x5 on a muzzleloader.

If any of you guys are interested in trying a used 3x10 BDC Powdern scope, I paid $60.94 for it on sale back in February, 2012. You can have it for $40 shipped to your door.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:31 PM
Dominant Buck

While the Powderhorn does "feel awkward" somewhat, I think I can get used to it rather easy. If I had to pick the perfect muzzleloader scope it would be a 2-7x32mm Like the Nikon Pro Staff. Its inexpensive, under $150.00 and for the distances I have to shoot, its perfect. Its glass clarity, light gathering ability, and overall dependability so far, just makes it an outstanding value.

Yet its funny when you talk scopes. When I hunt from a tree stand in thick brush, one of my go to rifles and scopes is a Knight LK-II with a Simmons 2.5-20mm scope. Granted you're not seeing a huge area, but it gathers like as if it sucks it in, and for close work, and the fact I don't take speed shots, it makes a perfect near, tree stand 50 yards or less rifle scope.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:42 PM
1874sharpsshooter

The way my eyes are getting I've been thinking of trying to find a way to mount one of these babies on my gun

Old 05-26-2015, 01:46 PM
1874sharpsshooter

in all seriousness, the Vortex scopes are some great scopes. I have 2 Vipers that I use on my long range guns. They are just nice scopes for the money.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

For my shooting - mainly heavy cover with shots usually less than 75yds, infrequent to 150ys, absolute max at 200yds - if I could only have one, I would likely stick with a fixed power 4x similar to the Simmons I have, but with slightly better optics and a more versatile reticule. The Prodiamond reticule, while great in close, is a little too thick at range. My other ML scope is a Vortex Viper 2-7x32 (now discontinued) and has a near perfect reticule;

Versa-Plex C3 Reticle

Not too thick but great for quick target acquisition. Alas, there are very few fixed scope options left. In fact, I can only find one other scope, the Swift Reliant 4x32 that might fit my wants. In any case, I am pretty happy with my cheapo Simmons ProDiamond and my pretty high-end Vortex Viper.

Last edited by hubby11; 05-27-2015 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Can't spell worth a damn
Old 05-27-2015, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty hard to beat the Redfield Revenge for a Muzzleloader.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Vortex are nice. A friend of mine has a couple and really likes them. Seems they are really gaining some market share, and have a good reputation. I'll probably get one someday to try out.

The scope I just put on my .45 Disc Elite is a Sightron S1 3-9x40 with HHR reticle.

I bought it a couple years ago when they were blowing them out cheap. They have since replaced that model with the S1 Hunter model. A newer and supposedly slightly better version.

Here is the current model: http://swfa.com/Sightron-3-9x40-SI-H...pe-P65959.aspx

For me, I can't stand clutter in the scope that most BDC type reticles have. This S1 has a very simple reticle, that isn't distracting (to me). I like Nikons & Redfields.... great scopes. I just don't like the reticles. Same with Leupolds ML scope, don't like it.

I have a bunch of Sightrons, very happy with them. I have 4 on ML's right now, one that has been shot a bunch. Never had an issue, and they have lifetime warranty if I ever do. They are clear and crisp, good eye relief. Solid quality scopes with a fair price. Their upper end stuff is VERY good. I have a Big Sky on one of my CF rifles, it is sweet! Lower end is pretty good, especially for the price. Very similar to most of the quality scope companies lower end models. Pretty much that and Leupold are all thats on my guns right now.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
.....I got to thinking about what would be my ideal muzzle loader scope.

Here's what I would want.

- Fixed power - 5X with a 100 yard parallax setting.
- Finger adjustable windage and elevation dials with 1/4" MOA adjustments.
- Plex crosshairs with BDC stadia lines (not those damn circles that Nikon uses).
- Zero re-set turrets.
- Fast focus eyepiece.
- Reasonably inexpensive.....
Unbeknownst to either of us, i tried to satisfy your criteria for a scope, a couple three years ago. The photo shows it mounted on the Dream Season.

It is a 1.5-5 variable, not fixed 5X; it is usually set about 3X, when i am trying to sneak. The zero parallax distance is 150 yard, not 100 yard, but that doesn't matter; there is zero error if my eye is centered, and if my eye is off center the error at 100 yards is less than 1/8".

It does have finger adjustable dials, and zero reset turrets. It doesn't have a fast focus eye piece, and that is just dandy; those things are not my cup of tea.

It doesn't have stadia lines; just a plain old plex reticle. However, it does have an elevation dial specially engraved in yards, for the rifle, bullet, and powder.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt the timber, and don't take long shots. I use a 1.5x4.5x33, and pretty much leave it on 2x.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Over the years i've had numerous scopes on my inline muzzleloaders. Never liked the Cabela's Powderhorn scope. My TC Black Diamond has the excellent 3X9X40 Minox ZA-3 scope. It has an uncluttered BDC reticle. There are three horizontal lines. The top line has a hack mark either side of the vertical line.

Load is the 250 grain SST bullet in a crush rib sabot driven by 130 grains of Black MZ powder. The rifle is sighted to put the bullet in the center of a 2" bullseye at 125 yards. Using the center line of the BDC reticle, the bullet hits a 4" bullseye just below center at 200 yards.

My .358 Norma magnum rifle has the same scope.

Last edited by falcon; 05-27-2015 at 03:24 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.