Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Speaking of Scopes >

Speaking of Scopes

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Speaking of Scopes

Old 05-28-2015, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

One criterion Semisane didn't include in his list is weight. Weight has always been one of my major concerns, because of the way my hunting is done. This has led me to own three 4X scopes that weigh 9.3 ounces each. The 1.5-5 scope i mentioned in a previous post weighs 9.5 ounces. Yes, i like to keep weight to a minimum; this eliminates a lot of possibilities. A lot of my shooting/hunting is done with a light 4X scope, and experience has shown; one can shoot past 1/4 mile with just a 4X scope, and have fun doing it.

My concern about weight led to a bad scope choice once. A light scope is the Leupold 3-9 ultra-light. Yes, i own one, and am afraid to use it on my rifles, because of the short eye-relief. It is reliable, clear, and light, but it doesn't get used. It now sits on an AR-15, and wow, every now and then, it is used to hit pop cans at 700 yards. The 223 doesn't recoil like a muzzle loader.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
18x for 300yds? Seems a bit much.

A 4x scope at 300yds will be the same as open sights will be at 75yds.
18x at 300yds helps me shoot 1 5/8" groups and it really helps at 400yds.

I really liked the Nikon Monarch scopes I've owned, all 2.5-10 and they were very clear. However they all were sent back for repair at one time or another. Another scope I like for light recoiling rifles (17HMR) is the Simmons Aetec. It was very reasonable in price, clear and works well with light recoil of the 17, but I'd never trust it on the muzz.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I'll take a bit less light to have a scope mounted low for a better cheek weld.
That may be an issue for some, but that's never been an issue for me.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
I think where Semi was going with this thread (correct me if I'm wrong) ... was finding a scope that fits his criteria/needs/wants that is of pretty good quality AND not super expensive.
I think you're correct WV. It's funny, I own a 3-9x50 VII Leupold as well as several Bushnell Banner 3-9x40s. The Bushnell is literally a 1/4 of the price and I find it suits my hunting style just perfect. I love my Leupold but it's not 4 times as good in my opinion.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Last edited by Semisane; 05-28-2015 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TNHagies
I think you're correct WV. It's funny, I own a 3-9x50 VII Leupold as well as several Bushnell Banner 3-9x40s. The Bushnell is literally a 1/4 of the price and I find it suits my hunting style just perfect. I love my Leupold but it's not 4 times as good in my opinion.
That's it TN.

LOL Semi
Old 05-28-2015, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by TNHagies
Funny you should say that. The 1.5x4.5x33 scope I put on the MR is a Bushnell Banner. It cost me $69. It has very clear glass, good at low light, and holds a zero. Plus, it just weighs 10oz. I know it's a low end scope, but it sure gives me everything I need in a scope.

A perfect timber hunting scope for those with skinny wallets.

I paid almost as much for the DNZ scope mount.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Search in gun safe uncovered rifles and scopes, 3 Simmons, 2 Weavers, 6 Bushnell's, 2 trophy's and the rest Banners, 2 Pentex's, 2 Leopold's which came on used rifles I bought. If I were to have a unlimited amount of money to by a scope with I would by Pentex first and Bushnell's second and Simmons third.
I have Bushnell's that are over 40 years old and not one problem. One very expensive Leopold was sent back to the factory after 8 months.

Al