Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Choose the most common issue creating ignition problems when first using BH 209? >

Choose the most common issue creating ignition problems when first using BH 209?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.
View Poll Results: Poll--What is the Primary Cause of Blackhorn Ignition Issues
Blackhorn powder is unreliable
0%
Bullet was too loose
0%
Incorrect primer choice
9.09%
Incompatible breech plug design
90.91%
Blackhorn powder is mysterious
0%
Not Enough powder
0%
Cold temperature
0%
Dirty barrel
0%
Blackhorn powder is inconsistent
0%
Too much powder
0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Choose the most common issue creating ignition problems when first using BH 209?

Old 05-25-2015, 11:43 AM
1874sharpsshooter

#1 ignition problem for new Blackhorn users

Old 05-25-2015, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

The reason it has issues is, it's not a BP substitute.

It's a smokeless substitute in disguise.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

"Most common issue creating ignition problems when first using BH 209?"

And you could edit first post to clarify. Since that is what you are trying to ask, I voted!
Old 05-25-2015, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, luckily I had you guys to tell me the one problem that WOULD have raised it's ugly head had I not been offhandidly warned. Carbon buildup. But I had my properly sized, handy dandy, do it yourself drill bit at the ready to remove that ugly mess after 10 or so shots. Other than that, my TC .50 cal barrel loves the stuff. I got increased velocity, hell of a lot easier cleanup, and much easier reloading. Not to mention it's a LOT easier to see through the "smoke cloud". Like Pete said, it's vaguely disguised smokeless powder.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Agree!
I have 1-1/2 lbs of real black in my gun safe and it's going to be many years before I use it up. I hardly ever shoot my last remaining sidelock anymore.

Thanks Semi for the reply. Good to know pass-thrus are a-happening with the 300 non-Mags.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just have to disagree with the prime choice being a problem for those who read what not to use. I have and have used a wide variety of standard primers and the only differences I have noted is some have a little blow back and some carbon up the flame channel a little more than others. I end up using win 209 because they eliminate the blow back with out any shimming.
Using the hottest primers like CCI Mag is not a very good substitute for decent breach plug design, especially since all it takes to modify them is a tiny bit of smarts and a drill and a tap.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a complete rookie when it comes to BH209. Shot it for the first time this past weekend. Based on what I've learned from here and MM, I would say that improper bp design and/or a restricted flame channel would cause the most problems.

I do know that I had a flawless maiden voyage (albeit only 12 shots), so I am happy. Still have alot to learn with it but it shot good and was nice to not have to swab between shots.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:01 PM
1874sharpsshooter

I figure since the crawfish already were inserted in this thread , one more post wouldnt hurt. After all we are all used to threads getting hijacked , right?

here's what happened to the critters the kids found

why , shucks, they didn't even waste the shells. they found a use for them also.

and they are available with or without pinchers

You got to love kids.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's hilarious. And what a beautiful little lady. You're a lucky guy Sharpsshooter.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Ignorance , thats what i think is the primary reason . But i didnt see that listed in the poll so i didnt vote
Today, i can still recall struggling to tie my shoes for the first time. Seems i was ignorant. When i struggled to read, it was because i was ignorant. Then there was the struggles i went through trying to write, trying to do arithmetic, trying to change a tire. The crud ring that i encountered when i first shot 777 sure made me struggle. Ignorance applies to everything we begin, not just Blackhorn, which is why it isn't necessary, to list it in the poll. Go ahead and vote.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.