Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Choose the most common issue creating ignition problems when first using BH 209? >

Choose the most common issue creating ignition problems when first using BH 209?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.
View Poll Results: Poll--What is the Primary Cause of Blackhorn Ignition Issues
Blackhorn powder is unreliable
0%
Bullet was too loose
0%
Incorrect primer choice
9.09%
Incompatible breech plug design
90.91%
Blackhorn powder is mysterious
0%
Not Enough powder
0%
Cold temperature
0%
Dirty barrel
0%
Blackhorn powder is inconsistent
0%
Too much powder
0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Choose the most common issue creating ignition problems when first using BH 209?

Old 05-24-2015, 06:12 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin

The ignition issues began when the 'better gun' came to my house.
that explains it right there

We received 3" of rain since about 2 am this morning. The radar seemed to show some red down your way; hope it wasn't/isn't too bad.
Today was pretty bad Lots of flooding .

Old 05-24-2015, 06:26 PM
1874sharpsshooter

However, that isn't a choice in the poll. When you go to vote in an election, you never get to vote perfect choices do you? You just vote for the best choice available. When you go to the polling place, if you don't necessarily like the choices, you don't submit a paragraph, you just vote, or don't.

I am a firm believer in "write in candidates"

Old 05-25-2015, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

But Chet, my hang fire, and misfire, weren't caused by problems in my rifle; the hang fires, and misfire occurred in my new rifle; a better gun, you should know what i mean.

So... please allow me to beat you to it, and say for you, the reason i ended up with a better gun, is out of ignorance.

However, that isn't a choice in the poll. When you go to vote in an election, you never get to vote perfect choices do you? You just vote for the best choice available. When you go to the polling place, if you don't necessarily like the choices, you don't submit a paragraph, you just vote, or don't.

My first days using Blackhorn saw me as very ignorant. My first days had no ignition issues. Even though i didn't realize the flame channel was supposed to be 1/8", and not 3/32", there were never any delays, or misfires. The primers i used, were what i could find at the store, nothing special. Still no delay, or misfire. None of the mistakes made out of ignorance caused a delay, or a misfire.

The ignition issues began when the 'better gun' came to my house.

We received 3" of rain since about 2 am this morning. The radar seemed to show some red down your way; hope it wasn't/isn't too bad.
Then we are kind of like the blind men each feeling a different part of the elephant and then voting on what an elephant is like. We each describe a different "primary" problem due to our own point of view. Luckily, I started using BH with my Omega using standard 209 primers. The primary problem for me was the carbon buildup with that first encounter.

Then I started using my Knight LRH and experienced hangfires, misfires. I then realized that the breechplug was a problem and replaced the breechplug with a Lehigh one.

I did experience some issues with a loose fitting bullet, so that can happen too.

Never had a problem with primers. Since I use to use 777, if I had been using 777 primers when I switched, that would have been the "primary" problem.

When you post a poll on the internet, do you expect people just to vote and not write anything, not even why they voted as they did? Well, you have to take the good with the bad on the internet. So as written I still can not vote in the poll because as written, the is not one clear "answer" to vote on. And yes, on the internet, I am going to write a paragraph on why not.

Give me a different question, even if the answers are the same, and I might even vote!

Last edited by txhunter58; 05-25-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:16 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Kids came back from checking the flooding in the pasture. The rain brought a free meal, so I guess it ain't all bad

Old 05-25-2015, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sweet.....
Old 05-25-2015, 09:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Oh YEAH!

Old 05-25-2015, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by txhunter58
Then we are kind of like the blind men each feeling a different part of the elephant and then voting on what an elephant is like. We each describe a different "primary" problem due to our own point of view. Luckily, I started using BH with my Omega using standard 209 primers. The primary problem for me was the carbon buildup with that first encounter.

Then I started using my Knight LRH and experienced hangfires, misfires. I then realized that the breechplug was a problem and replaced the breechplug with a Lehigh one.

I did experience some issues with a loose fitting bullet, so that can happen too.

Never had a problem with primers. Since I use to use 777, if I had been using 777 primers when I switched, that would have been the "primary" problem.

When you post a poll on the internet, do you expect people just to vote and not write anything, not even why they voted as they did? Well, you have to take the good with the bad on the internet. So as written I still can not vote in the poll because as written, the is not one clear "answer" to vote on. And yes, on the internet, I am going to write a paragraph on why not.

Give me a different question, even if the answers are the same, and I might even vote!
Today of all days one should feel free to write a paragraph, as we give thanks, and honor, to those who sacrificed everything, so we could.

Yes, i can understand your discomfort with the choices.

My first try using Blackhorn was also in an Omega, and the primer used was what was for sale at the local store. Like you i was lucky and everything worked like a charm. However, never did i experience a delay, or a misfire in that rifle. Luckily, i guess, i noticed the flame channel growing smaller, and smaller. Even when it was so small only a 1/16" drill would cut the carbon, never was there a ignition issue. After shooting Blackhorn a few times through the rifle/breech plug, i was 'sure', the flame channel was 7/64". It was with disbelief when i learned the flame channel was actually 1/8".

Now, these years later, both of us have tried Blackhorn in different rifles. Both of us have read this forum, and others. We have both similar, and varying experiences. We both have read of problems and solutions to those problems. We no longer know just one part of the elephant.

Now... gathering together all your knowledge, and kinda meditating over the issues you know can exist, are you able to answer the poll question by choosing one of those choices as the primary over all issue?

Yes.... No...then...What question could you answer?
Old 05-25-2015, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

"What do you think has been the most common issue creating ignition problems when people first start using BH 209?"

If that were the question, I would answer Breechplug but that would just be a guess from the past posts I have seen on the internet. But at least I would vote!

I suspect that is what you are trying to get to, but as stated, the question doesn't mean that to me

Currently all but one of my friends who shoot use sidelocks and the one who uses BH learned from me after I got it figured out, so the internet (always a poor scientific sampling) is my only source of info.

Last edited by txhunter58; 05-25-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think you nailed it txhunter.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by txhunter58
"What do you think has been the most common issue creating ignition problems when people first start using BH 209?".....
Tried using your question as the title; it is too long. Don't know what to change to make it fit. Suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.