Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Choose the most common issue creating ignition problems when first using BH 209? >

Choose the most common issue creating ignition problems when first using BH 209?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.
View Poll Results: Poll--What is the Primary Cause of Blackhorn Ignition Issues
Blackhorn powder is unreliable
0%
Bullet was too loose
0%
Incorrect primer choice
9.09%
Incompatible breech plug design
90.91%
Blackhorn powder is mysterious
0%
Not Enough powder
0%
Cold temperature
0%
Dirty barrel
0%
Blackhorn powder is inconsistent
0%
Too much powder
0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Choose the most common issue creating ignition problems when first using BH 209?

Old 05-24-2015, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Ignorance , thats what i think is the primary reason . But i didnt see that listed in the poll so i didnt vote
I have to agree. I've sent between 6,000 and 7,000 rounds of BH and never had an ignition problem.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, there are certainly multiple reasons for failures with BH. Whichever one you don't know/do is the primary one for your failure.

One of them saved my bacon once: BHs need for some compression/semi-snug bullet. The ONLY time I have ever short-started a bullet was with BH 209. The primer went pop and the bullet went about 10 ft out of the barrel without any ignition of the powder. I shudder to think if I had done this with another powder. So, sometimes a failure can be a blessing!

So, I did not vote either because there are multiple reasons and all of them stem from lacking knowledge. In my experience, wrong primers and wrong breechplugs would account for 95% of the ignition issues. From what I have seen of these two, they are about 50/50 as to which has caused a person to have issues. I can't vote for one over the other as "primary".

Last edited by txhunter58; 05-24-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe that a lot of design engineers learned a lot about breach plug design from BH.
I also believe that crud- ring was responsible for the design of Blackhorn so some thing good came from 777 after all.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree Lemoyne, but the use of 777 and the crud ring it produced was the reason so many people redesigned their breechplugs to transfer less fire and manufactured reduced strength 209 primers. That in turn produced the issues with BH 209 when it came out. Those changes were exactly the opposite of what was needed for BH to ignite.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by txhunter58
Choices, 2,3 and 4. Eliminate those and you will love it!
Yep, primarily any combo of 2-3-4

Mysterious?.... never, unless one qualifies as a first time user, with no backround on what makes Blackhorn tick. Learning the powder's couple quirks that separates it from real black and most-all other substitutes, removes the mystery pretty quickly.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 05-24-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
Ignorance , thats what i think is the primary reason . But i didnt see that listed in the poll so i didnt vote
Chet, i must respectively disagree.

Citing my own experiences as an example, when i first started using Blackhorn, we were all about as ignorant as ignorant can be. Never once did i ever experience a misfire, or a delay in hundreds, and hundreds, and hundreds of shots.

Why?

After shooting all these hundreds of shots, i started experiencing a delay every now and again--then a dreaded misfire on a perfectly located doe, that i could have driven to within a couple hundred feet.

Why? Surely i was more knowledgeable then, than i was when i first started using Blackhorn.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

For what this powder costs, and the need for a special breach plug, and the fact that you have to ream the flash hole of the breach plug, it is'nt worth a **** !
Old 05-24-2015, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Landngroove
For what this powder costs, and the need for a special breach plug, and the fact that you have to ream the flash hole of the breach plug, it is'nt worth a **** !
I do not use an aftermarket breechplug for Blackhorn in either my Knight or T/C.

Also, I wold rather ream the breechplug channel every 5-6 shots, versus use an extra 10 patches for cleaning the ML using blackpowder versus Blachorn, which usually gets my bore clean in four patches, versus 14 with real blackpowder or Pyrodex.

I no longer use 777. Too many crud rings and froze-up breechplugs halted my use of 777.

Did I mention how little corrosion Blachorn displays? Did I mention how it's hygroscopic properties outshine the others?

I am not 100% sold-yet on a steady diet of Blackhorn. But I'm closing-in on the finish line and Blackhorn is several lengths ahead of the others.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:05 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Chet, i must respectively disagree.

Citing my own experiences as an example, when i first started using Blackhorn, we were all about as ignorant as ignorant can be. Never once did i ever experience a misfire, or a delay in hundreds, and hundreds, and hundreds of shots.

Why?

After shooting all these hundreds of shots, i started experiencing a delay every now and again--then a dreaded misfire on a perfectly located doe, that i could have driven to within a couple hundred feet.

Why? Surely i was more knowledgeable then, than i was when i first started using Blackhorn.
Im used to people disagreeing with me . But i still say thats the problem . For example just because you knew more after shooting it a while and then had ignition problems doesnt mean it isnt caused by ignorance . For example i might shoot it a couple months . Know nothing and never have a misfire . Then all of a sudden a couple hang fires . Turns out its carbon build up . I get a drill and drill it out . ( once i find out the reason)Problem solved but it was caused by ignorance because i didnt know about the carbon problem in the flame channel
Thats just one of example .so i respectfully disagree with your disagreeing

Old 05-24-2015, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

But Chet, my hang fire, and misfire, weren't caused by problems in my rifle; the hang fires, and misfire occurred in my new rifle; a better gun, you should know what i mean.

So... please allow me to beat you to it, and say for you, the reason i ended up with a better gun, is out of ignorance.

However, that isn't a choice in the poll. When you go to vote in an election, you never get to vote perfect choices do you? You just vote for the best choice available. When you go to the polling place, if you don't necessarily like the choices, you don't submit a paragraph, you just vote, or don't.

My first days using Blackhorn saw me as very ignorant. My first days had no ignition issues. Even though i didn't realize the flame channel was supposed to be 1/8", and not 3/32", there were never any delays, or misfires. The primers i used, were what i could find at the store, nothing special. Still no delay, or misfire. None of the mistakes made out of ignorance caused a delay, or a misfire.

The ignition issues began when the 'better gun' came to my house.

We received 3" of rain since about 2 am this morning. The radar seemed to show some red down your way; hope it wasn't/isn't too bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.