Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Breech Plug cleaning >

Breech Plug cleaning

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breech Plug cleaning

Old 05-22-2015, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Breech Plug cleaning

I have a new to me disc rifle that has a lehigh breech plug in it. What do you guys recommend for cleaning the plug while shooting? I assume I have to remove it from the rifle and use the drill bit by hand? I have not shot this gun yet. Will be using BH209 - just dropped $45.47 for a can.

Also, how many shots between cleaning with the drill bit?

Thanks
Old 05-22-2015, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't usually clean my breechplug at the range (I own a Lehigh plug too). I have fired up to 25-30 times without having to clean. Basically, if you don't get hangfires/misfires you are probably OK. I do know some people like to clean after every 10-15 shots at the range, and there may be some merit to that but hasn't been necessary for me.

For me shooting 30 times is a pretty long session, so even if you remove and clean the breechplug after 15 shots, you would only have to do it once. Just remove the breechplug and hand turn a drillbit in the rear primer pocket until you remove the carbon buildup in the rear channel. I usually have a nipple pick to push through the small hole as well. Pretty simple

I am sure you could figure out a way to attach a drillbit to something skinny enough and long enough so that you could clean out the primer pocket without removing the breechplug at all
Old 05-22-2015, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only time my breech plugs are cleaned is when i return home from the 'range'. Shot quantity varies from about a dozen to about 3 dozen.

How i clean the non plastic jacket plug after it is removed from the rifle, is first the vent liner is removed. Then a 5/32" drill is run from the primer end out the powder end. Then i soak the plug in a pill bottle filled with multi surface windex with vinegar. Then the softened soot on the outside of the plug, is wiped off, and dried with a paper towel. The flame channel is finish cleaned, and dried with a pipe cleaner.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

You do have to remove the breech plug from the gun to properly clean it. I bought a Ryobi bit (5/16th I think) at home depot that end that will fit in a universal chuck. That gives me enough grip to turn it by hand. I use the drill every time I take the gun apart to clean it. I've fired as many as 30 rounds before cleaning. Even then I wasn't having ignition issues. I use regular Winchester 209 primers, as they are a slight bit longer than other 209 primers and and have eliminated my blow back problems completely. My current go to load in all 3 of my Knights with the bare primer breech plug is 110 grs(by vol) BH209, Harvesters 300 gr,PT Gold bullet, harvester's black crush rib sabot and the Winchechester 209 primer. Very accurate and deadly load.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
- just dropped $45.47 for a can.
Next time in Harrisonburg go to Rockingham Coop on High St. BH209 is $39.99 there. They also have a fall muzzleloading sale prior to ML season. Last year it was $2 off regular price.
http://www.rockinghamcoop.com/

Last edited by toytruck; 05-22-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. I'll probably shoot it and see how it does, hopefully I won't need to clean the BP during the range session. I figure I can rig up something to make cleaning it out with the drill bit while the bp is still in, just not tonight as I'm heading out to the cabin. Thx!
Old 05-23-2015, 06:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
I have a new to me disc rifle that has a lehigh breech plug in it. What do you guys recommend for cleaning the plug while shooting? I assume I have to remove it from the rifle and use the drill bit by hand? I have not shot this gun yet. Will be using BH209 - just dropped $45.47 for a can.

Also, how many shots between cleaning with the drill bit?

Thanks
During a range shoot I might clean the flash channel after 10-15 shots. Often I do not even clean the channel during a range shoot. I use a drill on a stick for this operation at the range. Since I Teflon tape my BP's I do not remove them except when cleaning the rifle.

I just remove the bolt and use a 'Bit on the stick' to twist into the flash channel of the BP

My suggestions... after a range shoot remove the breech plug from the rifle.

Drill the flash out with a 5/32" drill bit turning by hand. I prefer to clean the channel when the carbon is dry.

Remove the Vent Liner from the breech plug with the correct Allen Wrench.

Drop both of them into a small container with a cleaning solution in it - I use and prefer Zep Citrus Cleaner - a cleaner and degreaser. I use hot tap water to mix with the cleaner.

After soaking for a period of time I use a small bottle brush to push back and forth in the flash channel. Then a copper brush (tooth type brush) to brush the outside threads. A 'Q' tip to clean the primer pocket and Vent Liner area.

Flush hot water thru the Vent liner.

Them with a can of compressed air blow the parts off for quick drying.

Sounds long and cumbersome - but once you get the hang of it goes very quickly...

Last edited by sabotloader; 05-23-2015 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

The 3 Lehigh breech plugs I have do not have removable vent liners. I bought them before they hooked up with Knight. No more than I shoot, they should last me for a while. I too prefer to wait to clean until I get home. Thanks to Sabotloader for tip on using Zep. I'm curious about a source for the packet of wool swabs in your box. Bet that's a lot better than Q tips. Enjoy your Knight. With the right load, they are tack drivers. I now use a muzzle loader for all my hunting and they are worlds of fun.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure that makes sense. When Lehigh was selling the breechplugs, they came with removable liners. When Knight picked them up them starting making them nonremovable.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by pooldoc
The 3 Lehigh breech plugs I have do not have removable vent liners. I bought them before they hooked up with Knight. No more than I shoot, they should last me for a while. I too prefer to wait to clean until I get home. Thanks to Sabotloader for tip on using Zep. I'm curious about a source for the packet of wool swabs in your box. Bet that's a lot better than Q tips. Enjoy your Knight. With the right load, they are tack drivers. I now use a muzzle loader for all my hunting and they are worlds of fun.
If they are Lehigh Plugs - prior to Knight then they should have removable vent liners...

That box has a Wool Bore Mop in and here is some place you might find them.

http://www.brownells.com/search/inde...mops&ksubmit=y

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.