Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
.45 Renegade/Heavy Lead/300 Yards >

.45 Renegade/Heavy Lead/300 Yards

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.45 Renegade/Heavy Lead/300 Yards

Old 05-09-2015, 07:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default .45 Renegade/Heavy Lead/300 Yards

Pretty decent weather today for shooting - eighty-seven degrees, but overcast skies, so it wasn't blistering hot. Also, I had a 20" box fan set up next to the shooting bench.

The objective - just for grins & giggles - was to try 300 yards with the .45 GM/TC Renegade and edmehlig's 465 grain flat nose conicals.

But first, I wanted to try a few shots at 200 yards using the ballistic chart furnished by ronlaughlin in his comment in my recent post, "Heavy Lead @ 200 Yards". That chart has a "COME UP IN MOA" feature which shows how many MOA to come up from a 100 yard zero for other ranges. It's really neat. (Thanks Ron)

Using the 200 yard "come up' figure of 10.8 MOA from that chart, I adjusted the elevation dial of the Cabala's Powderhorn scope up 11 MOA and took five shots. Here's the target.

That worked reasonably well. So looking at the "Come Up" figure on Ron's chart for 300 yards, I attempted to dial the elevation up and additional 14 MOA, for a total of 25 MOA above the 100 yard zero. But the scope would only go up an additional 11 MOA. So I took one shot at 300 yards with the elevation at that setting.

The shot hit the ground about seven feet in front of the target.

Going with the "by guess and by gosh" principal, I took another shot using the lowest BDC stadia line on the scope. It didn't hit the target, but did hit the backing paper. So I took five more shots using the same hold and got this.

Well darn, I though that was pretty good for this big old bullet coasting along with a 1400 fps muzzle velocity. I was impressed the the bullet is still stable at that distance, and what the heck, under the circumstances a 6-1/4" group ain't all that bad. That's just a tad above 2 MOA.

So this concludes my adventures at 300 yards with this load. I took the Powderhorn 3x10 BDC off the gun and put my little Simmons 4X ProDiamond back on. The longest possible shot on my hunting lease is 175 yards. I'm going to play around with shooting 125, 150, and 175 yards with that 4X and see how it goes.

Last edited by Semisane; 05-10-2015 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's some mighty mighty fine shooting there MR. SEMI!
Old 05-09-2015, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since I don't have a ballistic calculator out in the field with me, I have been using the "By Guess and By Golly" (otherwise known as "what the hell") method for going on 50 years now Seems to work for us both Semi! Nice gunnin there.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:21 PM
Dominant Buck

that is good shooting. I would have a hard time even seeing the target at that kind of range. I was also wondering when the scope would give out in adjustment.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

I was also wondering when the scope would give out in adjustment.
I was wondering that myself Cayugad. If I were going to do that kind of shooting on a regular basis I'd put Burris Signature rings on the gun with offset inserts and have it hitting zero at 300 yards using the crosshairs on the bull.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fun isn't it?
Old 05-10-2015, 03:17 AM
Typical Buck

Nice shooting and a fun project.

Can you remind me of the twist rate of that barrel?
Old 05-10-2015, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Semisane,

The calculation following was done with less optimistic data, and it may fit real life better than the previous. Perhaps it will help with your shooting at 125, 150, and 175 yard. Have fun!

Old 05-10-2015, 07:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good shooting there Mr. Semisane. But darn it you did it (rather didn't do it) again. You could have turned your power down on your scope just a wee bit and I bet you would have been at the right elevation. I mean as long as you're playing you can also gain some knowledge about what power to put your scope and what stadia bar to use at those long ranges.
Try to make a mental note next time. Or better yet, put a not in your shooting box!
Old 05-10-2015, 08:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah Bronko, I know. I even considered doing that. But I wasn't so much concerned about getting on the bull as I was in seeing what size the group would be at 300 yards and whether the bullets were stable at that range.

I knew I would be taking the BDC scope off of the gun after this shoot. So when that second shot hit the backing paper with plenty of room around it for a group I figured that was good enough.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should sell the Powderhorn scope or put it on the Omega X7 and see how it works with 250 and 300 grain Deep Curls or XTP's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.