Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
.45 Renegade/Heavy Lead/300 Yards >

.45 Renegade/Heavy Lead/300 Yards

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.45 Renegade/Heavy Lead/300 Yards

Old 05-12-2015, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Semi, that's some fantastic shooting from both the gun and you!!! Congrats!
Old 05-12-2015, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Barnesaddict, I would have to politely disagree with that premise. For the simple reason it was a Muzzleloader. For Semi to have that consistent of a "group" while having to take the time for reload and everything else between each shot would mean that the wind would have had to remain at identical speed and direction throughout the whole shot group. Kind of hard to believe that happening. The wind doesn't remain at a constant hence why it is called a "variable".
Old 05-12-2015, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
..... The wind doesn't remain at a constant hence why it is called a "variable".
Yes, i agree the wind varies, but that isn't why it is called a variable.

Variable (mathematics), a symbol that represents a quantity in a mathematical expression, as used in many sciences.

Other examples of variables in a ballistic calculation are sight height, ballistic coefficient, bullet weight.... These are called variables, but they don't vary like the wind does.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ron, I suggest the wind might be a "variable variable".
Old 05-12-2015, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even if it weren't true, you could suggest it anyway; it's your thread. Um... actually it probably wouldn't matter much to you, whose thread it is.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Barnesaddict, I would have to politely disagree with that premise. For the simple reason it was a Muzzleloader. For Semi to have that consistent of a "group" while having to take the time for reload and everything else between each shot would mean that the wind would have had to remain at identical speed and direction throughout the whole shot group. Kind of hard to believe that happening. The wind doesn't remain at a constant hence why it is called a "variable".
I fully understand.

I shoot long range often. So often I hardly know how to shoot just 100yds any more. All with a muzzleloader. It doesn't take much wind when shooting beyond 100yds to play with bullets. Not so much at 200yds, but beyond that it will be a huge contributing factor. If the wind was a steady and constant speed, long range shooters would have a ball. Heavy slow bullets are more affected by wind. If a rifle shoots "dead center" at 100yds, other than drop, it should shoot "dead center" at 200 or 300yds, providing there's "0" wind (all things equal). An exception to that, would be the bullet itself doing something not known. Some bullets stabilize quicker than others and he had a great group there at 300. But, to be dead center (5 shot group) at 100yds, unless the bullet is doing something, just because its a muzzleloader, doesn't mean it shouldn't be very close at 200 and 300 both. Forgetting the drop in his 300yd group, his horizontal difference could have been the shooter, the bullet, or the wind. Ballistics software is really, really darn close and the wind is a significant contributing factor.

In the following 400 yard target, I had to use a full moa right, with just a slight following wind.

Ultimate Firearms Inc. BP Xpress .50
300gr WM bullet
180grs Triple Seven
2,300fps velocity

Here's one where I really had to adjust and the wind wasn't a constant speed:

Old 05-12-2015, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Ron, I suggest the wind might be a "variable variable".
Yeah that Kinda how I meant it.

And yes Ron, Unlike Jethro Bodine I made it past the sixth grade and actually do remember to carry my gnawts Lawdy I even remember a little of my Trig to use on the fly for long range calculation.

My point was that the wind, especially in Semi's neck of the woods, is rarely a constant over a longer period of time in a group shooting. Not saying that it isn't possible since pretty much anything is possible, just saying that it isn't probable. Semi's theory of the scope being slightly offset actually has a bit more possibility. Line of sight, both vertical and horizontal, can be pinpointed at 100 and then start going one way or the other at further ranges. The same theory is used when tuning a double rifle to get both barrels hitting the same impact point at a particular range. Take my Kreighoff 500N for instance. Both barrels are tuned to be dead on even impact at 100 yards. But at 200, the right barrel is left 1.5 inches and the left barrel is right 1.5 inches. Line of sight crosses at 100 yards. With his scope being offset, even slightly, could in fact cause a long range variation in line of sight.

Last edited by super_hunt54; 05-12-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

I still believe the offset scope mount is a factor. I just measured it. The center line of the scope is 3/16" to the left of the center line of the bore.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
I still believe the offset scope mount is a factor. I just measured it. The center line of the scope is 3/16" to the left of the center line of the bore.
And there you go. Line of sight. Since it is sighted at 100, and the scope is 3/16 offset to the LEFT then it will in fact be off at longer ranges to the RIGHT.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well, at least it's to the Right. I'd hate to find myself drifting to the Left.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.