Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting the Gong

Old 05-02-2015, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shooting the Gong

That's the gong set-up. Shooting was done from the top of hill where the trail/road crests. Range was about 295 yard. The first shot was a miss a touch high, and into the wind.

Here is a video of the miss.

The wind meter read between 4 and 8 mi/hr from the right, so the windage was twisted 2 1/2 moa into the wind. The elevation dial was twisted up 8 moa. After the first shot hit some high, and right, the elevation dial was twisted down to 7 moa, and the windage dial was turned to 1 1/2 moa right. The second shot was a hit.

Here is the video of the first hit.

Here is the video of the second hit made by the third shot. And that was that, it was time for lunch.

The two photo show where the 3 shots taken today hit. One on the ground behind, above, and right of the gong. The next two hit pretty close to each other on the gong.

Rifle was a 45 caliber Omega. Load was 200g Shockwave, 115g Blackhorn, baby blue Harvester sabot, W209 primer. Scope settings were determined by the following calculation which was close, but not exact.

After seeing that the first shot hit high, i figured it was because of the angle. So, i turned on the gps, and read the elevation where i shot from as 5050', and the elevation at the gong was 4920'. When i got home i calculated the angle to be 8.45 degree, and did the ballistic calculation again.

Hmm, not much difference at all, the reason for the first miss was not because of the downhill shot it seems
Old 05-02-2015, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

Man, that's a long way off...good shootin!!
Old 05-03-2015, 04:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great shooting Ron! Gotta be a good feeling to hear it ring from that far...

What calculator do you use?
Old 05-03-2015, 06:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Very impressive... good shooting. And I bet a lot of fun.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I bow before thee Oh Master of the South Dakota Prairie. That's some dandy shooting.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
......What calculator do you use?
Used the calculator on Hornady' website. Needed the following calculation today.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 575 yard

Today the gong was placed near the same place as yesterday; just a little to the side so to avoid yesterday's bullet marks. The bench was placed on the next further hill; brain figured it was a 475 to 500 yard shot. However, brain was incorrect. The elevation dial was set for a 500 yard shot. The windage dial was set for a 5 mph wind for a 500 yard shot. The laser say it was a 575 yard shot.

The dirt splash above the pipe in the photo is the bullet hitting. It is too low, and too far downwind. The shooter can barely be seen on the ridge top just to the right of the truck. The elevation dial was twisted up some, and the second miss was made.

Here is a VIDEO mostly provided to hear the sound of the shot echo. The elevation dial was turned up more, and the third miss was made. Note how the bullet skipped. The echo of the shot sounds good to me.

Note how the next miss is almost blown into the support leg; the reason for a long pipe. The wind kept changing from about 4 mph to 11 mph. Direction was from the front left.

Here is a VIDEO of the last shot. The last vial of powder it was.

That the gong was hit in the center, and it only rose up a fraction of what it did, when hit from 300 yard, sure shows how much energy the bullet looses when it flies from 300 to 575 yard.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow. That is amazing and incredible! I'd venture to say that not many folks can make that shot. Heck, most probably couldn't do it with a CF Rifle!

GREAT JOB RON!
Old 05-04-2015, 03:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
I bow before thee Oh Master of the South Dakota Prairie. That's some dandy shooting.
After seeing your 200 yard shooting, i bow before thee. You did some nice shooting.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice shooting Ron. I can see why you'd want to shoot that distance. That is some pretty open country and a long shot is easily probable. And its a good thing you practice before you attempt it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.