Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Fast Twist 45 - Lead Conicals >

Fast Twist 45 - Lead Conicals

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Fast Twist 45 - Lead Conicals

Old 04-11-2015, 04:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default Fast Twist 45 - Lead Conicals

I picked up a fast twist 45 a while back. I haven't had much time to mess with it but finally got some rings and put a Nikon Omega on top. I borrowed the bolt out of a Disc Elite and had to add 4 shims to seal it up with the Lehigh plug. Anyway, I was ready to hit the range.

I was shooting T7, using a felt wad and tried both the 350 and 465 versions of Ed's castings. I've found these to shoot excellent out of my 1/30 twist Knights.

I'm not sure what I'm doing with the 1/20 but the results were OK. The early Knight build is a beautiful gun. The stock fit is perfect. It's just a nice weapon. I'll keep trying and I'm open to any good loads for the 1/20. The below results were after a few rounds to find the bull. It was a little windy so I did'nt want to stretch it out too far.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Love those bullets.

Good shooting Josmund. Are you wiping the bore between each shot with those loads?
Old 04-11-2015, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

In reading the more popular ML boards lately, I appear to be the only one using light-side loads with inline MLs...... albeit 80 grains Blackhorn on my last range outing.

So Josmund, in using those 60-70 grain 777 loads, isn't it nice to squeeze the trigger and not feel the heavy recoil 110 grains of Blackhorn presents with 250-300 grain bullets, which is the volume and bullet size used by so many members here?

This is a sport that for many decades did not try to compete with centerfires and not only recognized ML yardage limits, but accepted those limitations.

A couple weeks ago I thought my 80 grain powder charge would be good for 150 yards with 180-230 grain sabot/bullets, in a couple different ML rifles. But I had to settle for 125 yard dependencies, without upping the powder charge.

I am still a happy camper with 125 and very content. I don't desire to shoot muzzleloaders that feel like I'm squeezing the trigger to my 12 gauge double-barrel shotgun.

Nice going Josmund and good luck in further developing those loads.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 04-11-2015 at 05:41 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:04 AM
Dominant Buck

I shoot approximately the same powder charge out of my Whites. And with a heavy conical, accuracy is exceptional. Also I discovered for those worried about penetration.. 65 grains of Triple Seven 2f and a 460 grain conical will penetrate 8 inches of solid poplar fire wood. They mushroom to almost an inch, and retain almost all their mass. What more could I ask of a bullet and think of the devastation to a game animal.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

I'd be real happy with those groups. They are typical of what I get and many times depending on how the stars are aligned I do much better. You may want to tweak your loads a little by going up or down 5 grains to see if the groups shrink some more for you. By the way, my 8yr old grandson shot his first doe this year at a distance of about 40 yds with a load of either 50 or 55gr of 777-3F and she was DRT.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

You may want to tweak your loads a little by going up or down 5 grains to see if the groups shrink some more for you.
Right on Ed. With the "465 grain Mehligs" I've been going with ten grain load bumps with GOEX powder and found 85 grains is the sweet spot in my 1:30 twist GM barrel. I probably should try five grains up and down from that load just to see if it gets even better.

Here are the 100 yard groups from my last session a few weeks ago with 65, 75, and 85 grain loads. Results were pretty much the same as what I got with those loads back in October.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

I like 80gr T73F in my Super91 .451 with a 480 Bullshop conical. 1" high at 50 yds and they drop about 3" out to 100yds. Never recovered one yet out of the deer I have killed.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:33 PM
Spike

Default "Light" Load Company for Triple Se7en

The last 7 deer I've taken have been with 82.5 (6) or 85 (1) grains volume of BH209, using 240 - 300 grain bullets with sabots. Range has been 95 to 125 yards, with 3 at 125. All have been double lung with a typical run of 40 - 80 yards. This is about the same as we see with centerfire rifles.

The loads seem to do best on the heavier bucks, with the longest run for a lighter doe. Now I use the lighter 240 HP bullet when I know I'm trying to fill a doe tag.

These loads produce velocities similar to 105 - 110 grains of Pyrodex 2F. This type of load seems to have been commonly used at one time.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Love those bullets.

Good shooting Josmund. Are you wiping the bore between each shot with those loads?
I have been cleaning between shots. I may try some different powders but the T7 crud ring won't allow more than one or two rounds.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no regrets moving away from 777 powder. In about another month, I may say the same thing about moving permanently away from Pyrodex, American Pioneer and Goex/Schuetzen blackpowder.

Blackhorn 209 has a frustrating hiccup or two. But the positives early-on in my range-time with it, far-outweigh the negatives. My wallet needs to adapt to Blackhorn prices also. I cannot believe how fast I burned my first jug of Blackhorn.

There should be an ML law on banning smaller containers and higher prices combinations....lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.