Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Put the pipe cleaners and Q-tips away forever >

Put the pipe cleaners and Q-tips away forever

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Put the pipe cleaners and Q-tips away forever

Old 03-28-2015, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Put the pipe cleaners and Q-tips away forever

Sink your teeth into this. Can be used in the tightest of spots to easily remove burnt powder, carbon, primer residue......etc. Just dont brush your back-teeth afterwards with Birchwood-Casey 2 In 1 Cleaner

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...6&catid=312247

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 03-28-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Do you think the bristles will tolerate solvent?

Kinda doubt they will do much for hard primer carbon. They make SS shotgun port brushes that would likely work better on the breach plug.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Do you think the bristles will tolerate solvent?
Good question! Just uncovered this product today and have-yet to try it. Perhaps better intended for sidelock flint and percussion rifles using blackpowder cleaners.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:29 PM
Dominant Buck

I am guessing you can wash them clean and then wait until the next time. Also, do they bend easy? On my Genesis for instance, when I pull the barrel, is the receiver is very sharp corners. Here I take a Q-tip, fold it, push it into the corner and then spin it. It gets all that raw powder out of there.

But they do look like something you'd like to have when cleaning hard to reach places on breech plugs.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have some of those here that we use for brushing/flossing. The wire in the tip is very weak, the head bends almost immediately when using them. Also, the bristles are very soft...remember they are designed for cleaning between teeth and against gums.

IMO, they would not work for any type of hard core cleaning, they aren't strong enough. Might be ok for doing some things.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

They would probably work nice for exterior work, like cleaning out flash pans, cleaning up sights, screw slots, nipple threads, (or any threads) and any type of engraving whether it's cast or cut. They would probably be excellent for cleaning cut checkering on a stock. Basically any little spot where a heavier brush won't do, or a steel or bronze brush isn't necessary or is not recommended.

BPS
Old 04-02-2015, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

They would probably work nice for exterior work, like cleaning out flash pans, cleaning up sights, screw slots, nipple threads, (or any threads) and any type of engraving whether it's cast or cut. They would probably be excellent for cleaning cut checkering on a stock. Basically any little spot where a heavier brush won't do, or a steel or bronze brush isn't necessary or is not recommended.
Exactly. I used to use those "brushes" when I wore braces. The wire is very flimsy but it has to be in order to be flexible. As BPS stated there are some applications where they could work but for lock and barrel cleaning I find an old toothbrush and warm soapy water works best.