Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Blackhorn 209

Old 12-01-2016, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Scarr, first off, that 70 too 100 comparison is NOT power but weight. What they mean is 70 grains WEIGHED is equal to 100 grains by VOLUME in most powder measures. BH209 is heavier than Black Powder. So 70 grains of BH is equal to 100 grains of Black powder. It's also more powerful by weight as well. Same thing with Triple 7. 130 grains of T7 is equal to 150 grains of Black Powder by VOLUME.

As to your second question, I use 110gr BY VOLUME BH209 under a 220gr Lehigh CF or 220gr Bloodline in my TC Pro Hunter. Yes it has some kick but muzzle rise isn't all that bad. If you are having difficulties "holding on" to your rifle then I would suggest you reeducate yourself on your hold and stance. At the bench, my rifle barely comes up off the bag and I don't even have a forward grip on it. It comes straight back into my shoulder. I would just about bet you are holding your shoulder too stiff trying not to let the rifle come back. That is what is causing your severe muzzle rise. Allow your shoulder to absorb the recoil. I'm not saying totally relax your shoulder as you will end up with a case of "scope eye" like that but you need to loosen up a little bit. You will find this also lessens the pain in FELT recoil as well.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
..... 130 grains of T7 is equal to 150 grains of Black Powder by VOLUME.......
Please show the calculation....
Old 12-01-2016, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Please show the calculation....
Straight from Hogdon

All charges of Triple Seven or Pyrodex should be measured by VOLUME not weight. A simple, adjustable blackpowder measure is the correct tool for this job. All loads listed in this brochure are measured by VOLUME.
Triple Seven is a high energy product designed to provide the muzzleloading hunter with higher velocities when used in the same VOLUME as blackpowder. To duplicate a blackpowder load velocity using Triple Seven, you must decrease the powder charge by 15%. *See WARNING below.
Pyrodex is lighter in weight than blackpowder and weighs only about 70% as much as blackpowder. However, because Pyrodex yields more energy per pound than does blackpowder, the same volume of Pyrodex gives similar performance to blackpowder. Pyrodex loads given in this manual for muzzleloading guns are measured by volume, not weight.
https://www.hodgdon.com/loading.html
Old 12-01-2016, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

So, to duplicate a 100gr volume charge of BP, one would use 85grs volume of T7? (100-15% = 85)

Likewise, (150-15% = 127.5) ?
Old 12-01-2016, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yup. Been a while since I used T7 (hated that damn crud ring) but I remember having to "think" whenever I was working with more than one rifle and going from T7 to reg BP. I was never into the "pellets" but I seem to remember something about them being 130gr for a 150gr charge or some such.. Been over 10 years so my memory isn't that clear on it.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yup. Been a while since I used T7 (hated that damn crud ring) but I remember having to "think" whenever I was working with more than one rifle and going from T7 to reg BP. I was never into the "pellets" but I seem to remember something about them being 130gr for a 150gr charge or some such.. Been over 10 years so my memory isn't that clear on it.
I'm a little jealous of those shooting BH.... like I used to. Nothing like being able to convert it to weight, using the proper conversion (.7) for exact charges.